saulosi and demasoni

MAM

Mamalammadingdong
Retired Moderator ⚒️
Reaction score
they look the same to me. i know saulosi females are yellow, are demasoni females also yellow? the males of the two look so similar to me too. i was in a lfs and they just had a tank of "assorted cichlids" (ones people had brought back, they don't bother to separte but just put in one tank and sell for reduced price, hate that), and some looked like male and female saulosi, but the clerks weren't sure. and now that i've done some more online reseach (wanted to have printed pics to take with the next time i go in), i 've discovered that demasoni lookes very similar. i'd hate to get female saulosis and somehow end up with a demasoni male...................... any tips on distinguishing between the two types?

The differences are subtle. Demasoni tend to have a dark tail fin while Saulosi tend to have a lighter tail fin. Demasoni are a little sleeker in shape then the Saulosi. Demasoni usually have one egg spot on the anal fin, saulosi one. Demasoni females are not yellow, they look just like the males.

My advice - never buy from a mixed tank, period. Look for a better shop to get your cichlids.

I have to agree with the Adict. I would rather spend more money per fish and get them from somewhere that really knows what they are talkin about and that each species is in a seperate holding tank

Most reactions

Back