Sand

jonathanscottlee

Reaction score
Hi All,

I just want to find out what sand to buy for my aquarium. I just want a layer of sand about 1.5" thick. Can I buy a really nice looking golden sand and if so, what's the cheapest that I can buy? Can I just go to a garden centre?

I'm assuming that I need to wash the sand and if so, how should I do this? Just normal water?

If anyone has any advice on where I can get nice, aquarium, cheap sand, please do let me know!

Thanks!
Jon

If you say where you're from someone will be able to help you about where to buy it from. you wash sand with water, put the sand in a pillow case and rinse it with water!!
hth :)

Surrey, UK...

Are there any brands I can go for, e.g. homebase, argos playsand, etc? Or should I just get any sand which looks good?

Thanks for the advice for cleaning the sand!

I just fill a 5 gallon bucket halfway with sand and rinse the sand out in that. I tried the pillowcase method but it ripped at the seams - I imagine it is a good method for small tanks though.

Any sand will do the job. Pool filter sand is one of the cleanest sands you can get and works great. I mostly use bagged beach sand sold as play sand, which is also quite clean and natural looking too. You can use pretty much any play, silica, concrete, construction, or river sand.

Most reactions

Back