Sand?

x-cuddles-x

Reaction score
Hello, just after some help. i want to put sand in my tank rather than have the gravel i got in there now.
I've heard that the sand from argos is fine to put in there .. is this true? and what would i need to do to the sand before putting it in my tank? how much is a good amount to put in there? i have a 3ft tank. Should i leave the gravel in there and just put a lay of sand in? or take it all out?

Thanks for the help.
:good:

Hello, just after some help. i want to put sand in my tank rather than have the gravel i got in there now.
I've heard that the sand from argos is fine to put in there .. is this true? and what would i need to do to the sand before putting it in my tank? how much is a good amount to put in there? i have a 3ft tank. Should i leave the gravel in there and just put a lay of sand in? or take it all out?

Thanks for the help.
:good:

I would take the gravel out before putting sand in or it will mix up and looks bad

Argos sand is ok i had it in my tank but make sure you give it a good wash first a few hours at least i made the mistake of quick rinsing it then adding within 30 mins and tank took hours to clear

hi x-cuddles-x

if ure going for sand id take the gravel out as it would look allot better rather than mixed.
i used to have sand but i got my play sand from B@Q and it was crap wish id ov got it from argos in the first place.
before putting it in the tank put it in a bucket and run the tap from the bath on it untill the water goes clear then put it in ure tank.
if ure haveing plants in the tank ull need about 1and half- 2inches if not a good inch should do it
but its what ever you prefair

good luck with it :good:

yep ive got argos play sand in my tanks and its fine though it does take alot of washing as already said
scot :)

I used Argos playsand in mine as well, looks great. a 3 foot tank will prob only need one bag (£2.49) - takes a while to clean as everyone has mentioned, however I did leave a bit of gravel in (not much) just to get a more authentic "riverbed" look and it looks fine.

In one of my tanks I have both sand and gravel, I've based it upon the idea of a rock pool by having one area with gravel and another with sand. It works quite well but it does take work to keep it tidy. If I had to choose though I'd take just the sand, the hermits love sifting through it!

How easy is it to keep sand clean.I've always had the impression that a gravel vac might be too strong for sand(ie suck it up) ?

I'm in the process of doing a clean of my gravel and was considering changing it altogether to sand.

Most reactions

Back