Sand Vs Gravel

Clear_waterPro

Reaction score
Hi

I've been using gravel for a while now and my plants are doing fine- good root system, good colouring, no diseases, maintain good oxygen levels, reduce

nutrients in the water... etc. However, i've always liked the look of sand but been put off by the setting up of the stuff. So could anybody list the

advantages and dsiadvantages of both gravel and sand. It would be a real help.

Thanks

I can give the pros and cons but as a user of both, I would choose gravel everytime. The thing I don't like with sand is that it is so uneasy as fine. Any slight movement of current will scatter it everywhere.

Gravel

Pros- Variety of colours, if that's your taste. Good for plants (medium to small sized gravel)
Cons- Harder to clean than sand. Can be more expensive (especially compared to play sand). Unsuitable for some bottom dwellers like corys.

Sand

Pros- Easy to clean. Very cheap (depending on which sand you buy). Good for plants. Good for bottom dwellers. A more natural look

Cons- Takes a bit longer to clean before putting in the tank. Can make the water a bit cloudy if your boistrous doing a water change.

Overall i definately prefer sand.:good:

Gravel

Pros- Variety of colours, if that's your taste. Good for plants (medium to small sized gravel)
Cons- Harder to clean than sand. Can be more expensive (especially compared to play sand). Unsuitable for some bottom dwellers like corys.

Sand

Pros- Easy to clean. Very cheap (depending on which sand you buy). Good for plants. Good for bottom dwellers. A more natural look

Cons- Takes a bit longer to clean before putting in the tank. Can make the water a bit cloudy if your boistrous doing a water change.

Overall i definately prefer sand.:good:

Sand seems really nice, i might give it a try and see how it works out... i have small fish (zebra danios and white cloud mountain minnows) is there any paricular sand you think is best or would advice for me?

If you're in the UK Argos playsand is really nice and really cheap. It is widely used within the forum and i myself use it. It's got a good clean whiteness to it :good:

I've used silica sand in the past. And it was my most sucessfull tank so far.
It takes time to clean,because its white you can notice dirt more,some people say its not very good for plants because it compacts the roots.
But i had very healthy plant growth, the best i've had in all my tanks.
Cleaning was not that difficult if i did regular maintenance and i did not usually get loose sand because after some time i got experienced in ways of touching the tank without making a mess.
But the fish especially corys moved sand around every now and then.
The only thing against is i had a piece of wood with java moss on it and the moss was always covered with sand powder.

i guess i'll have to look at both playsand and silica, i'll be like a kid in a candy store (well sweet store in Britain) :)

Most reactions

Back