Sand vs Gravel - Which is easier to clean and maintain?

Sand
- I like it.
- looks more natural.
- good for bottom dweller
- harder to clean.
- debris always end up on the top, looks really ugly have to always do water changes.
- looks better with plants.
- river and play sand are really cheap.
Gravel
- easy to clean using syphon.
- debris always end up on the bottom.
- live Aquatic worms and blood worms always on the bottom. (very weird, I dont know how they get there)
- really sharp and kinda dangerous for bottom dwellers eg. cories
- more expensive
- look lighter..
I hope this will help you choose :)

:thanks:Thank you guys!

You guys are very helpful!!!!
I really appreciate all the sharings here.
Seangee, you have a beautiful tank.
No problem! I also like to use whatever substrate they have in the wild. I think it makes the fish feel more comfortable.

I have been maintaining aquaria (several, lol) for four decades now, and I have used pea gravel, medium gravel, fine gravel, play sand and once Flourite so-called plant enriched substrate. Without any question, regular inert play sand has been the overall best substrate.

Having said that, if you want to create a Central American stream biotope, pea gravel or medium gravel can work very well--but this being a biotope, you will have upper fish and no cories or loaches and this is important. You can also do a south Asia (Indian) biotope with smooth gravel for native loach species and upper fish.

But for all other situations, nothing really is better than an inert smooth sand. All plants grow very well in sand, fish will have no issues, and it looks natural and makes the visual space seem larger.

Thanks Byron for sharing your many years of experience.
I really appreciate it.

Most reactions

Back