Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Neither

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

The-Wolf

Ex-LFS manager/ keeper of over 30 danio species
Reaction score
I'm just curious (nosey) so take the poll, please. :cool:

Depends what look you want... We've got 2 gravel (with sand under it)

and the next tank is going to have sand (as will the one after that!)

think it depends on what fish you have and there requirements as they will vary i have both sorts three with sand and one with gravel but the fish must decide i feel :thumbs:

I picked gravel but i dont like the coarse stuff i have very fine gravel, I think sand looks good too though.

I went with sand though gravel is good too, I've found sand much easier to handle. I have 2 tanks with all sand, one with gravel and one with sand, rock and rock gravel.

I say gravel. I like lots of flow in my tank to keep food, waste, and other things suspended in the water column so they are easily sucked up by my filters. It is also so much easier to vacuum gravel. Sand definately can look better, but i found that i had to replace a cup or so of sand after every cleaning. Thats a pain.

If you know how to clean sand, you never have to replace it. :D I've had sand in my tanks for months and it's never been hard to clean.

Most people suggest sifting the sand to get the stuff up in the water and then you can start to vacuum it. I usually run my vac over the sand and let it pick the stuff up. My grains are heavy enough not to get sucked in and sand is compact so most of the detritus never gets underneath it unlike gravel.

I prefer gravel, but I've never really had fish that needed sand, so I've never used it. But sand does look nice. :D
~Aqua~

Teelie said:
If you know how to clean sand, you never have to replace it. :D I've had sand in my tanks for months and it's never been hard to clean.

Most people suggest sifting the sand to get the stuff up in the water and then you can start to vacuum it. I usually run my vac over the sand and let it pick the stuff up. My grains are heavy enough not to get sucked in and sand is compact so most of the detritus never gets underneath it unlike gravel.
I've tried about every kind of sand out there. Still sucked up a cupful everytime. I tried different size vacuums, put some polyfilter on the end, everything. Still sucked up sand. Just no easy way to get waste off of it without sucking some up.

you can spot dirt much easier on sand, but it looks really nice. some cats help keep it clean. :thumbs:

I've got gravel in most of the tanks, but I'm about to switch the 4 gallon to sand.

Most reactions

Back