Sand Subtrate

sara213

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I'm going to use sand substrate in my new aquarium and i was wondering if anyone happens to know if just using sand is fine for planted tanks? or do i need to buy the special soil for aquatic plants?

I'm going to use sand substrate in my new aquarium and i was wondering if anyone happens to know if just using sand is fine for planted tanks? or do i need to buy the special soil for aquatic plants?

Hello Sara sand is ok plants will grow in it.If your going for a proper planted tank you will need so nutrients in the substrate.Buy some john innes number 3 from a garden centre and put some under the sand then you will be fine.

regards mick

I would rely solely on the sand substrate for achieving a good vibrant planted tank. The special soil eventually loses its effectiveness rendering it useless after a period of time so I wouldn't advise you use it. I personally rely on sand substrate, liquid and tablet fertilisers to grow my plants.

If you ever have any difficulties with growing your plants, the main culprit for this is lack of nutrients, light, wrong temperature, wrong PH etc. It never comes down to bad substrate choice IMO.

That is good news...lol I too was using at the moment: fertilizer tablets.

I was looking at the plant substrate at the pet store...but it is like 23 dollars for a 20lb bag...that or i get the small box of plant soil from : <a href="http://www.completeaquatics.co.uk/store/product/23/API-Laterite-20oz/">API first layer plant substrate</a> although looking at the website it is cheaper to buy from UK then it is to buy it hear in canada. Maybe this is telling me to move to the UK LOL...

it is 24.95 + taxes here in canada. @_@

One more thing.

Is it recommended that I put a sponge over the intake valve of the filter? to keep from any sand going into the pump and damaging it? if so could i just use a reglare sponge from the store and place it over the filter intake valve?

thanks in advanced

It might be worth having a larger sediment layer below the sand. When I planted my sand substrate tank, some of the plants had trouble getting stable and it took a while for them to take hold (I had to go out and buy weights for them). In the end I got rid of sand as it just wasn't practical for me and I couldn't wait for the sand to settle! :lol:

It might be worth having a larger sediment layer below the sand. When I planted my sand substrate tank, some of the plants had trouble getting stable and it took a while for them to take hold (I had to go out and buy weights for them). In the end I got rid of sand as it just wasn't practical for me and I couldn't wait for the sand to settle! :lol:

really? :( lol....I can understand your frustration....haha...too late though I put the sand into the aquarium and there is half way full of water...I'm waiting for someone to answer my question about the sponge over the intake of the filter
blink.gif

sara i have kept tropical fish for 20+ years and have allways used sand as the substrate for my corys and have never had a problem with sand interfearing with filters of all kinds wether it be internal external or sponge. i myself have 2 cory fry tanks with sponge filters so i would say you age good :good:

sara i have kept tropical fish for 20+ years and have allways used sand as the substrate for my corys and have never had a problem with sand interfearing with filters of all kinds wether it be internal external or sponge. i myself have 2 cory fry tanks with sponge filters so i would say you age good :good:

thanks Nigel...I put a sponge over it anyhow.....:S because i just did it this morning...lol

Really? so people must be putting it too close to the bottom of the substrate if they are having issues with sand getting into the filter. I don't know...

Thank you again though :)

EDIT: I can go and pick my plants now...:)

I would rely solely on the sand substrate for achieving a good vibrant planted tank. The special soil eventually loses its effectiveness rendering it useless after a period of time so I wouldn't advise you use it.

When you use compost in a garden or a pot then yes it depletes. Not the same in an aquarium. It will soak up nutrient from the water and be an ever replenishing supply. Not as replensighin as a clay substrate but still.

Remember that composts may contain peat and will lower your Ph a bit.

However there are many examples of well planted setups with purely inerts substrates. As long as water column dosing is there then the plant specific substrates are a bonus but not necessary.

AC

Most reactions

Back