Sand Substrate Sources

bangit

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi, i'm about to get going setting up a 75g mbuna tank and want a nice cheap, safe white sand substrate. Anyone any ideas where to source this in the UK and should I be staying away from Silica? B&Q have 'natural' play sand but it looks brownish, not really up for that colour!

Any general advice on sand would be appreciated.

Thanks

If you want pure white caribsea do one but it's expensive £16 for 20lb. If you want light sand argos play sand is a yellow colour and is £3 for 15kg.

Added a pic below so you know what colour it is in my tank.

70238422.jpg

Thanks, nice setup there. Yours doesn't look too brown / yellow really, may go for that.

So no cheap sources of white sand in the UK then!?

I think for the light colouring and cheap price, the Argos play sand will be the best you`ll get. I`ve seen loads of photos of the play sand and have to say that had I not already got the setup that I have, the play sand would have been an option I`d have gone for :good:

I bought 25kg of coral sand from Dobbies think it was around the £20 quid mark. May be expensive but it looks good :)

Thanks for the advice, been to argos today and bought 2 bags, just over £6, good deal! Pics look great by the way!

Now, onto filtration.....

Most reactions

Back