• sand

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • gravel

• no clue

• Total voters
Sand.

It has an awesome natural look. How often do you see gravel like aquarium gravel, or even natural gravel, in a river or lake?

The plants like it better. My sanded tank grows plants like nobody's business. Don't do so well in the graveled tank.

Bottom feeders can find the food easier.

IMO, easier to clean than gravel because the poo stays on top instead of getting lodged in the gravel.

:D

I would like to try sand

Right now I am thinking about redocrating my 20g tank and now my 10g cory tank as well w/sand.
At first I thought of white gravel but I've ruled that out. But I still want a cheerful tank.

But I get the impression sand is harder to maintain than gravel, is that true? Is it available in fish stores?

Any info would be welcome.

I picked sand. I've had sand in with my corys for two weeks now and I really like it. The good thing is the waste and leftovers stay on top of the sand, so it makes for easy cleaning. The bad thing is the waste and leftover stay on top of the sand where you can see it.

I bought my sand from a pool supply store, this way it was $12CDN for 22 kg, which is considerably cheaper than any LFS. Just make sure you wash it well.

Here are a couple of links I used when deciding about sand.
http://fish.orbust.net/forums/index.php?sh...48&hl=sand&st=0
http://cichlid-forum.com/articles/sand.php#3

cherrybarbbaby said:
But I get the impression sand is harder to maintain than gravel, is that true? Is it available in fish stores?
IMO it's easier to maintain because the poo stays on top and doesn't get lodged in the gravel. I'd recommend buying play sand at a store like Menard's, or Home Depot or whatever you have in your neck of the woods. Menard's has 50 lb. bags for something like $2.27.

Thanks for your insight and the helpful links Captain Canuck!
I do really like the look of sand so I hope its something that I can make happen for my tanks!
:D

yeah Heresmike, I like that fact to :D

If I can see the poop and old food I can clean it up better!

I do have a homedepot in my area....20min away!

i didnt wash my sand but i got it from the lfs store is this bad??

nick.w said:
i didnt wash my sand but i got it from the lfs store is this bad??
The stuff you get at the fish store is most likely cleaner than play sand. I would've washed it a little though. But I think you should be ok... your filter probably took care of it by now.

Most reactions

Back