Votes: 0 0.0%
  • other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

donna123

Fish Addict
Reaction score
hi,
i have gravel my friend has sand,i like the look of sand in a tropical set up but i was put off by my local fs,
who said its hard to maintain.so id like peoples oppion on this i would like to try sand in my next tank.
thanks for any advice :) .

Depends what you want to do with the tank really. Sand's not really that much harder to look after (some would say easier) as the only real difference is the waste sits on the surface rather than sinking in as it does with a gravel substrate. Certain types of fish need sand really so what you are going to stock the tank with is a consideration. If you plan to plant the tank, then you need to remember that sand is near useless when it comes to hlding nutrients for the plant's roots so a layer of something like laterite is recommened beneath the sand.

I would vote "depends..." but that's not an option :p

I have 3 tanks, 2 with gravel, 1 with sand. I like the look of the sand much better, and prefer it overall. But, you do see the poo etc. more on the sand than the gravel. If you are dilligent about cleaning the tank floor, it's not a problem at all. Also, most bottom dwellers prefer the sand.

Remember one thing m8.. Someone elses tank and its gravel and looks will always look better then yours no matter how good yours look to others ;)

Its the human tendancy to find that grass on the other side is always greener :)

When ever you change your substrate, it will look brilliant... 6 months down the line, you will think that your old one looked much better. So rather then yourself relying on how your tank looks, get some 3rd parties to look and comment on it.

Nim
ps: Also, Darker substrates are better for the fish then lighter ones

bare baottom is better to keep clean but sand looks the best

Surfy....

No wonder you are concerned about keeping the bottom clean with those fish in your tank... :crazy:

i have sand and gravel in both my tanks about 90% sand and 10% gravel. just agitate the surface let it settle and then when you you do your water change syphon it off and bobs your uncle.
you cant beat the look of freshly cleaned sand :nod:

I have gravel and sand in two seperate tanks. Sand is much easier/better for many reasons.

The only drawback to sand, which was strong enough to actually make me take it out in favor of gravel is sand is highly reflective and it seems blinding even with subdued lighting. It just seems to wash out the fish colors, and since darker colored sand is so expensive, I just put dark gravel in the tank.....in fact I put black gravel in there.

It will be more maintenance but well worth it as its beautiful, esp when used with actinic lighting.

other: gravel with sand area or sand with gravel area :)

was thinking though, surely sand wouldnt need another layer for simple plants such as cabomba which dont root all that much? (not in my experience anyway.)

Most reactions

Back