Sand Or Gravel Substrate?

Dutsey

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I have recently brought a Juwel 125 litre tank , but I am stuck on the first hurdle.

Do I go with Sand or Gravel? I have got corys which I want to transfer to this tank.

Is sand easier to clean than gravel?

Also what is best for plants?

If I went with sand how much would I have to use?

corys love to dig about in sand, all the muck sits on the top so yes, easier to clean by far. It works fine with plants. 2-3 inches in the bottom would be best. Best tip i can give you is to clean it first until the water runs clean. There are literally dozens of threads on this forum about sand/gravel substrate, have a play with the search function for more info.

I have both in the tank my cories are in. I built a wall that runs the length of the tank, back half is gravel and plant substrate, front half is play sand.

well i can answer a couple of those.

sand is awesome and most fish prefer it.

sand IS HARDER to clean, i think everyone would agree, but its DEFINITELY DOABLE. (harder because your gravel vac can suck up sand while cleaning, gotta learn the swirl technique)

plants would prefer some sort of sand substrate, they even sell substrates specifically for plants.
(i use cheap play sand and have great growth)

Enough sand to cover the floor, some people prefer less than an inch, while others seem to be fine with more.

Malayan trumpet snails are great for "churning" thru the sand and keeping it aerated.

check out this link, Sand as a Substrate

:hi: and good luck with ur tank!

Have you thought about black sand if you're not interested in a gravel substrate?

Sand plus malaysian trumpet snails, plus plant's = little need for vaccuming.
I find sand much easier to clean than gravel for the waste remains on top of the sand and is easier to remove.
Add a bunch of plant's ,and some MTS, and there is little need to vaccum sand at all except for aesthetic reasons.
If when vaccuming sand you begin sucking up sand,,your'e doin it wrong. Keep the vaccum an inch above the sand, and it works well.

I just changed my tank over to some dark blue Crayola Play Sand for my Pepper Cories. I got it from Home Depot for 5 bucks and it was a 20 pound bag. I rinsed it, but it didnt require alot, it was pretty clean to start. Its a heavy very fine sand, doesnt swirl or cloud up. I have a 36" bubble snake buried under it and the bubbles actually raises the sand as it pushes through the sand. I have noticed that my Cories and one of my Mollies dig holes in it and bury and some colored gravel I dropped in there to break up the solid blue bottom. Any left over food that sinks, sits on top of it and the Cories take care of it. I love having Sand now. Probally will never use gravel again.

Could someone please recommend me a Vac for sand avaliable in the UK

Many thanks

As others have said, sand is really easy to clean. All you need is a syphon hose/tube whatever, no attachment on the end is required.

As others have said, sand is really easy to clean. All you need is a syphon hose/tube whatever, no attachment on the end is required.

Ahhh! That's where I've gone wrong. I've been using the gravel vac attachment and wondering why most of the poo was just swirling around it and not actually going up it. Will try tonight with that removed.

Cheers.

Most reactions

Back