Sand Or Gravel For Newbie?

UNV_Rasta

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hey guys, I might probably get at least one "use the search function" for this, but I'm really frustrating myself trying to make up my mind. This is going to be my first planted tank, and I can't decide whether to use sand or gravel. I keep seeing mixed reviews as to which is more suitable for a planted tank. Some say gravel pebbles can hinder roots, while others say that sand doesn't hold nutrients well enough. Was totally sure I wanted to use gravel since it was easier to maintain (even though sand looks better) but it seems like many many people who go gravel eventually switch to sand. 25 gallon tank, rooted plants most likely, and stocking it with platys. Also thinking about putting a layer of laterite or something first, as suggested by many people. Would love to hear some of your views

I used laterite and sand in my last tank, and now I have gravel. I am not liking the functionality of gravel with my plants. I can't get the roots to stay down when first planting, and then re-planting which I have to do repeatedly since my kribs tend to redecorate often.

Gravel gave me a darker look that I wanted for this tank. The sand I used was off white and depending on how many plants I had in there it was much brighter in there. I doubt it bothered the fish, but I always thought it was too bright. Having said that, I do plan on switching back to sand very soon. If I could find inexpensive dark sand I would use that, but $15 for 50 lbs is too good to pass up on when they stuff I would want is $30 for 20 lbs.

In the end it all comes down to what you want out of the substrate. Looks, functionality and cost. Be careful with the laterite though when moving plants around. Your big root plants will pull it up from the bottom with them, leaving you with red pebbles scattered amongst your sand.

I personally went with black "Caribsea eco-complete plant substrate". This is my first planted tank btw so I'm no way an expert. I went with that stuff mostly because I'm lazy and it was all black, which I wanted. The eco-complete's basically big pieces and tiny pieces of gravel mixed together that eventually settle out with big pieces of gravel on top and very fine, sandy like stuff on bottom. I have no problems with it. Not that it makes the decision any easier for you, but it's another option to look at, at least.

Hey guys, I might probably get at least one "use the search function" for this, but I'm really frustrating myself trying to make up my mind. This is going to be my first planted tank, and I can't decide whether to use sand or gravel. I keep seeing mixed reviews as to which is more suitable for a planted tank. Some say gravel pebbles can hinder roots, while others say that sand doesn't hold nutrients well enough. Was totally sure I wanted to use gravel since it was easier to maintain (even though sand looks better) but it seems like many many people who go gravel eventually switch to sand. 25 gallon tank, rooted plants most likely, and stocking it with platys. Also thinking about putting a layer of laterite or something first, as suggested by many people. Would love to hear some of your views

Whoever told you that is not your friend.
Sand is much easier to maintain, just run a siphon over the top.
Gravel, you physically have to shift it around, which means you could possibly damage roots and plants in the process.

Sand + Root Tabs + Liquid Ferts/CO2 + Malaysian Trumpet Snails = Planted Tank Win.

Thanks for the replies so far guys. And I'll definitely look more into that Eco-complete Kathy, many people use it here. Vic, I've heard that in addition to siphoning the sand (which I'm certain it'll take me a while to master), you have to mix it around ever so often because it tends to form clumps and gases get trapped under there. That's why I thought it would be harder to maintain. But as you said, maybe its really not, maybe just at first till I get the hang of it. Leaning towards sand now, which leaves me with another decision, what type of sand... :lol:

i am going the play pit
sand over aquatic compost
i have used this in the past
and had some half decent results
and i am going to give it another
go in the next weeks or two i also
think i am going to go down the home
made CO2 system that is on a thread on
the forum somewhere lol

Do you know what colors you're looking for? That can narrow some stuff down if you know what kinda look you're going for. A lot of people recommended children's play sand though, it's very very cheap. Playsand is about $4 for 50 pounds while packaged for aquarium stuff runs around $20 dollars for 20 pounds. I've seen fish stores with bulk bins of sand though, which is a little cheaper than the packaged aquarium stuff. The price alone might be enough of a deciding factor on what sand :S

Hey Katty, I'm really leaning towards black sand. With a black background, it really seems to bring out the colors of the plants and fish more, although white sand just looks buff. I don't know gurl, decisions decisions.

Hey Katty, I'm really leaning towards black sand. With a black background, it really seems to bring out the colors of the plants and fish more, although white sand just looks buff. I don't know gurl, decisions decisions.

Black background + yellow sand = brilliant.

Black background + black sand = looks awful, too dark, only works with really colourful and bright fish. Conditioned Cardinal tetra brightness.

You need contrast in a tank to get it looking smashing, yellow/white sands are always my favourite, but I have used grey before.

I've always found the darker the substrate, the dirtier it looks
The lighter the substrate, the more I can physically see the natural behaviour of fish.

Just my opinion though, at the end of the day, it's up to you.

I dont agree with the black on black looks rubbish i have black fine gravel with a black 3d background. Plants look so green and the fishes colors just pop. :hyper:

but again thats just my opinion. Your best to look thuw members pics and see what you like and dont like and have a google around.

Black background + yellow sand = brilliant.

Black background + black sand = looks awful, too dark, only works with really colourful and bright fish. Conditioned Cardinal tetra brightness.

Totally agree, if you look at Andy-Lee's tank, its awsome but WAY too dark :no:
I vote for gravel, it hold plants down much more easily and its easier to maintain :look:

It was Andy-lee's tank I saw that made me want to go black on black. Truth be told, it is a tad bit dark, but i dunno, i really like it. The other tanks I saw with black sand that I liked (like Ianho's Trigon Island) didn't necessarily have black backgrounds, so u guys were more or less right in saying that there has to be some contrast. Like I said above, I like the white sand as well. Westwood's tank is a great example. The one tank that I'm diggin the most tho is Onebto's. He uses pea gravel. That's a really nice tank right dere. Now I'm back to my whole sand vs gravel debate, lol!!!

Carlove, I'm starting to see that more and more experienced users find that sand is easier to maintain than gravel, but they all admit that this is not da case at first, it takes some experience. I also thought that gravel was easier to maintain until visiting this forum. Hmmm

yes with gravel when using a gravel cleaner you really have have to dig it in right into the gravel but every time you use a hose to clean the sand even at low pressure, you will waste even more time re topping the sand levels. I have 3 tanks ATM 2 with gravel 1 with sand and I like the gravel better because of thid

yes with gravel when using a gravel cleaner you really have have to dig it in right into the gravel but every time you use a hose to clean the sand even at low pressure, you will waste even more time re topping the sand levels. I have 3 tanks ATM 2 with gravel 1 with sand and I like the gravel better because of thid

All of my current 9 tank have sand in them, I may accidentally suck up sand every now and then when the dogs distract me, but I've never had to top up sand. You can use a gravel cleaner to clean sand, just remove the attachment (effectively making it a large air line tube I suppose) and hover above it. The dirt will go up the tube but the sand is heavier.

Most reactions

Back