I think sand is easier than gravel, actually. I have two sand tanks and one gravel, and cleaning the sand is a brease. I siphon twice a month, stir the sand once a month. It's cake! The sand I have is pretty heavy, too, so I can actually root around a little in it and the siphon doesn't pick it up: just the poo ) All the fish love the sand more than gravel, particularly my loaches (kuhli and red-tailed sand loaches). I guess the difference is similar to the difference between cleaning a multi-colored shag carpet versus a short white carpet. You notice the dirt sooner on the white, but it's way easier to clean up (particularly since sand doesn't stain like carpet does). My apple snails actually burrow in it a little to get away from my puffers. Tank looks great SConrad!!
Note, sand isn't as good for heavily planted tanks. Particularly plants with roots. If you're going to do that keep the plants in a better base, and then just cover that in sand.
wow! i didnt even see the second page..lol, glad i made some people change their minds! i will let ya know how everything goes. i hvent realy been thinkin of the dirty-ness lately, because i have lost a fish, i think!! the next day, after doin the change, i noticed i was missing a tiger barb!!! i cant find him anywhere! i hope hes not in my chihuahua's tummy! lol not a funny thing, but just real strange.
well, as far as i can tell, they love it! they are more active(mostly the shark and pleco), and they seem to be all around happier, less territorial fighting, and i love it also, makes the tank look cleaner(hope that last a while ;/) and no sign of the tiger barb!