Sand How To Prepare It?

Personally I like to wash with tap water first because I want the pressure from the hose driving the water through the sand, I do then wash in RO. I'm not sure about the risks from tap water not an expert but coral sand doesn't hold much water. I had 40kg which had sat over a bucket to drain and it was only about half a litre so any trace elements would probably be tiny but I would probably want to know what the breakdown of the tap water was. I have to say when my corals were in the bath waiting to go in the tank I had to top it up with about 10 litres of tap water due to poor timing and planning but was absolutely necessary, despite this I have never tested any Phos or Nitrate despite my tap water having 20ppm Nitrate.
I'm not saying it is a wise thing to do but I can only comment on my experiences.

okay, but i will wait now-silly me forgot ro for top ups (btw how does the water evaperate?)

Water evaporates into the air (as long as the humidity of the air is less than 100%), higher the temperature of the water the greater the rate of evaporation.

Yeah what he said..... Also if the air is dry you will get more evaporation.

At work we use humidity in our counters to stop meat drying out as if the air has a higher moisture density then the meat then the meat won't dry out.

Naughty Fishy, suggesting he use tap water for his little, itty, bitty tank :angry: <slap from Seffie >

Some old salts do use ro water in a fowlr set-up, but this is certainly not the way to start a reef :blink:

So, you just wait my little spring chicken, everything comes to those who wait :p

Seffie x

*shiver's in the corner*
sorry seffie! :S

i am not a old salt but my tank is full with ro water? *blank stare* :blink:

so when doing top ups not salt?

so when doing top ups not salt?

Indeed, top-offs are done with ro water which has no salt - the water evaporates and leaves the salt behind (who is your science teacher, tut, tut :p)

In the summer you will be topping off every day, winter every few days

Seffie x

get an ro unit on that Christmas list

[/quote]

get an ro unit on that Christmas list
[/quote]

indeed :nod:

Most reactions

Back