Sand As Substrate

Boxer_Gaz

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Is there any problem with having sand as substrate with Apistogramma, Tetras and Plecos?

Thanks

Gaz

Sand is okay to use with any species of fish, to my knowledge. I honestly don't see any perks to using gravel. In fact, it'll actually increase the amount of fish you'll be able to keep happily in the tank.

My plecos love rolling around in the sand and my cichlids like digging in it. Go for it you won't regret it.

Most fishes if not all will love the sand....And it look better than gravel

+1 on that too XD sand makes it easier to clean up the poop tho :)

I think XD is a smiley on some computers and phones?

And thanks for all the positive replies folks.

Gaz

I posted a new thread last night in the new tank section asking a few questions.

What do people think of this stocking list. It's a 32" x 12" x 16" 100 litre tank...

8 x Serpae Tetra
2 x Apistogramma (Pair)
1 x Golden Gouramis
1 x Pleco

Not sure which Pleco yet, possibly Bristlenose, Queen Arabesque or Butterfly. Could I have 2 small Pleco?

Gouramis may be Golden or Opaline.

Apostogramma Probably Cacatuoide.

Could I have Cory cats in here or would this be a bad idea with the Apisto and Pleco already at the bottom of the tank?

Thanks

Gaz

I posted a new thread last night in the new tank section asking a few questions.

What do people think of this stocking list. It's a 32" x 12" x 16" 100 litre tank...

8 x Serpae Tetra
2 x Apistogramma (Pair)
1 x Golden Gouramis
1 x Pleco

Not sure which Pleco yet, possibly Bristlenose, Queen Arabesque or Butterfly. Could I have 2 small Pleco?

Gouramis may be Golden or Opaline.

Apostogramma Probably Cacatuoide.

Could I have Cory cats in here or would this be a bad idea with the Apisto and Pleco already at the bottom of the tank?

Thanks

Gaz
The gourami may be a problem. Blue, Gold, and opaline gouramis are all the same thing. Just different color morphs. They tend to be very aggressive when they get older.

You could have two smaller plecos like bristlenose in a tank that size, but I don't see why you'd want to. They're very messy, and have a huge bioload. I'd only keep 1, if any.

IMO, instead of the golden gourami, go for a school of corydoras catfish instead.

Or if you're dying for a gourami, you can do a couple honey gouramis or a pearl gouramis, something less aggressive than three spot gouramis (opaline, gold and blue are all called 3 spot gouramis in general.)

Most reactions

Back