Sand And Fertilizer Base

Sharpy1987

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi folks,

I’m in the planning process of changing my current tank setup to a planted tank.

I was thinking of changing the gravel to sand, Argos play sand to be precise.

I was also going to have a layer of plant fertilizer under the sand.

However, since doing plenty of research on the net, I’m now pessimistic.

I’ve been reading conflicting posts.

I have a few questions I would REALLY REALLY like answering (pretty please :* )

1: Will the plant fertilizer mix with the sand over time and look messy?
2: I’ve read that using Argos play sand isn’t actually a good idea if you’re wanting a planted tank? Do plants find it hard to root in?
3: IF the fertilizer mixes with the sand and looks messy, BUT the plants will root in the sand alone, could I use root tabs?
4: I have an external filter, will this throw my sand around? Could using the spray bar stop this?

I would be very grateful for any responses as you’d be saving me a lot of money and time!

cheers in advance

Hi folks,

I’m in the planning process of changing my current tank setup to a planted tank.

2: I’ve read that using Argos play sand isn’t actually a good idea if you’re wanting a planted tank? Do plants find it hard to root in?
3: IF the fertilizer mixes with the sand and looks messy, BUT the plants will root in the sand alone, could I use root tabs?
4: I have an external filter, will this throw my sand around? Could using the spray bar stop this?

I would be very grateful for any responses as you’d be saving me a lot of money and time!

cheers in advance
1. yes unless your very careful.
2. no but it contains no nutrients.
3. yes you could
4. depends on the flow and how it is dispersed around the tank but it could.

Have you considered the cat litter from tesco(pink bag low dust) it is made from baked clay the same as a lot of 'proper' plant substrates and it's cheap but does take a lot of washing. It does not contain nutrients but when they are added in the form of liquid ferts it soaks up the excess so therefore becomes nutrient rich over time.

Hi folks,

cheers in advance
1. yes unless your very careful.
2. no but it contains no nutrients.
3. yes you could
4. depends on the flow and how it is dispersed around the tank but it could.

Have you considered the cat litter from tesco(pink bag low dust) it is made from baked clay the same as a lot of 'proper' plant substrates and it's cheap but does take a lot of washing. It does not contain nutrients but when they are added in the form of liquid ferts it soaks up the excess so therefore becomes nutrient rich over time.

ahh ok, thanks for the advice!

i've never really considered the cat litter route. My two cats use it so i think it takes the appeal away :lol:

i'd need to see some pictures of other peoples tanks who have used it to get a good idea. I had my heart set on sand.

If i was to put root tabs in the sand, wouldnt that do the same job but less messy?

root tabs in the sand will need to be replaced every six months or so maybe less depending on manufacturer. rinsing cat litter is easier than rinsing sand. also be aware some people have difficulty keeping the sand clean i.e. hard to get the fish waste off. also it can suffer from compaction issues if too deep. I had sand in my rio 400 and it was difficult to keep clean visually. I now have a 2ft cube with cat litter in and it's much easier to keep clean and my plants love it. Cat litter when first setup.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Cat litter can look a little pink under high Kelvin lights, but looks nice under daylight, particularly with some dark bogwood as that distracts from the colour somewhat.

As said, it's a good planting medium as it doesn't compact and holds a lot of nutrients (high CEC).

I use Osmocote as an under substrate fertiliser.

ahhh ok. Thank you very much for your help guys!!

i may seriously consider using the cat litter.

Your tank looks nice by the way!

Most reactions

Back