Salvin's Cichlid

osiris

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
hello, i am just wondering the idea of adding another cichlid to my 250l south american set up which at the moment houses a pair of green severum's and a pair of festive cichlids all of which are now mature.

It is either to add one or two of Cichlasoma salvini (salvin's cichlid) or to add a shoal of marbled hatchet fish...

Any suggestions to other fish species would be appreciated, thanks

Hi in a 250 liter tank I wouldnt have the severums, the common green sevs are Heros Efasticious which are capeable of growing to 10-12 inches and ideally need at least 300 liters so a little bigger than the one you have at present.

With the Salvini, gorgeous gorgeous fish and one on my long list of fish I want. But I would not add it to this tank, I think the sevs would be fine but I am unsure of the festivums and how they would compete with the aggression of a Sal. Esp in the 250 liter tank if the tank was 350-400 liters I would say no problem but I think it would be stretching it a bit.

Wills

Ok cheers, the male sev is only about 6-7 inches and the female about 5/6, i guess they still have a bit of growing to do. this is why i asked, i have pretty bad judgement on fish size ratio to volume of water and i can get a little over excited about adding a new fish.

Many thanks

Yeah 250 litres isn't really big enough for two severums in my opinion, they are chunky fish.

I would be cautious of adding a salvini to a 400 litre tank with severums to be honest...they are mean buggers and can flip overnight. They don't call them 'mini-guapotes' for nothing.

I would be cautious of adding a salvini to a 400 litre tank with severums to be honest...they are mean buggers and can flip overnight. They don't call them 'mini-guapotes' for nothing.

Agreed.

I've not owned a Salvini, but everything I have read about them indicates that they can be very aggressive, and are much better suited to an aggressive tank with the likes of COnvicts, Dempseys, GT's etc.

Most reactions

Back