Salt?

Aquariumfish912

Reaction score
My juvenile Molly and a Molly fry, I believe, are suffering from the "shimmies". I'm thinking that adding salt is a good idea. Do I use marine/sea salt? If so, how much should I put in? Consider that this is a 10 gallon and I have Platys in there as well. I don't want the mollies to die, I raised them from young fry. Also do I just add the salt to the tank, or do I have to take the fish out and acclimate them first?

My juvenile Molly and a Molly fry, I believe, are suffering from the "shimmies". I'm thinking that adding salt is a good idea. Do I use marine/sea salt? If so, how much should I put in? Consider that this is a 10 gallon and I have Platys in there as well. I don't want the mollies to die, I raised them from young fry. Also do I just add the salt to the tank, or do I have to take the fish out and acclimate them first?
try a 50% water change fish suffering from the shimmies is usually a sign of poor water quality.

Mollies suffer very easily from poor water quality, all salt dose it help the body to tolerate higher levels of toxins.

The very best thing to do is find the problem and resolve that so it dose not happen.

Get a good liquid test kit and test for:
Ammonia
NitrIte
NitrAte

Ammonia and nitrite should be 0ppm
Nitrates should be under 50ppm

Water changes are the best thing to do if you have large amounts of toxins you should do 50% water changes 4-5 times a week to remove them, and once setteled you should do water changes at least once a week replacing about 20-25% of the water.

Ahh!!! A Platy just died! And another one just doesn't look good! The tank is newly cycled(or so I think) but maybe it isn't done?

helterskelter, you're right! I tested my water and my nitrates are high. The way to treat that is water change, right? Also the water is soft, not good for mollies. Any tips?

They dont like soft water sorry. You can buy additives to harden the water. Crushed cockle shell work too.

Or keep soft water fish which would save the hassle.

Once you get the nitrites and ammonia under control, you could use some crushed shell or crushed coral in the filter to raise the pH and the mineral content of the water. It is a better solution for most livebearers than simple salts.

It's where the fish sort of 'shiver's from side to side; as if they were swimming really, really fast, but they stay in one place.

Most reactions

Back