Salt? or No Salt???

Dori

Reaction score
Hi,
I have another newbie question.
I have read that I should'nt add aquarium salt to the tank if I have a Bristlenose catfish, but dont my other fish need to have the salt? What should I do? Thanks again for any help or info. you can pass along to me ;)

I've added aquarium salt in my tanks with pl*cos due to ick and I had no problems. The key was, I made sure the salt was diluted in water first and slowly poured the dilution in the tank over a long period of time. NEVER put the salt directly in the tank.

What are the advantages of using aquarium salt?
First, some tap water sources are very low in dissolved salts compared to certain fish-collecting or fish-raising areas, and the addition of aquarium salt might simply make the fish feel more "at home". Second, salt provides replacement sodium and chloride ions that stressed or sick fish need. Third, salt may inhibit the fishes' uptake of toxic chemicals like nitrite. Finally, salt inhibits parasites (for example, Chilodonella cyprini) that are sometimes difficult to diagnose or treat.

The above was obtained at this site. There are several sites that basically say the same thing, another of which is FreshAquarium.About.com.

I agree with bol, salt is an unnecessary complication. If fish need salt, why, for years, have my fish always been healthy and never sick? :/

Most reactions

Back