Salfin Mollys And Salt

bikerfish

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Hi All
I have seen some nice salfin mollys, do they have to live in slightly salt water or would they be ok in normal tank water ? adding salt is not an option as fish I have already , just thought I would ask before I buy ?
cathy

I only keep Ilyodon livebearers, but I do believe Mollies can thrive in hard freshwater alone, which you may have in Essex. But for those that keep them in water that is not "liquid rock," a gradual (depending upon what water chemistry they were bought in) acclimitisation to brackish waters does increase the odds of them not experiencing stress related illnesses, with an even longer extended acclimitisation they can live in full-on marine conditions (but this is something that really needs someone like Neale Monks to write about this specilist sort of info, it is not something that can be done a whim).

Hi
Cheers for answering  think I might get them as they are great looking fish and grow to a nice size
cathy

I think you'd be fine without the salt.
When two of my dalmatian mollies got sick I added some salt which really helped them heal. If they end up not doing too well you can just add a little, it shouldn't affect the other fish too much anyway.

Most reactions

Back