Safe Silicone

Mertus

Reaction score
What kinda silicone would be safe for fish? can i go to a diy shop and just ask for clear silicone sealant or do i need to be more specific?

I belive you need to be more specific. You can get silicone that says "aquarium safe" on it. I got it at the local hardware (DIY) shop, or ask at your LFS.

What kinda silicone would be safe for fish? can i go to a diy shop and just ask for clear silicone sealant or do i need to be more specific?

If you're in the US, GE Silicone II for windows and doors is aquarium safe...

I got some but its like 4 quid for a tiny tube (what a rip) it says clearly on it aquarium safe so meh.

The make is not important, but it needs to be high modulus (in the UK) as opposed to low modulus silicone. It's available at most lfs or glazing suppliers.

You'll be fine with ANY that:

1. Is FULLY cured before introducing fish or inverts or plants etc... in fact before water !
2. It is ONLY silicon.... many bathroom adhesives contain anti fungal chemicals...
3. The "modulus" thing just tells you how "thick" it is.... low modulus is "runnier" when liquid.

If you are planning a tank build, invest in one with the word "aquarium" on it, as its designed for the job... otherwise reread above ! :good:

According to the manufacturers, the term high modulus refers to silicon that is waterproof, i.e. suitable for total submersion, as opposed to low modulus, which is described as water-resistant. As mentioned, if it states on the tube that it is suitable for aquarium use, you can't go far wrong.

i read somewhere that only sealants that releade acetic acid can be used others that release acetone never properly cure and can be deadly. anyone verify this?

That is true, but very few cheap silicones leach acetone... acetone is too expensive for the standard contractor ;)

If you're in the US, GE Silicone II for windows and doors is aquarium safe...
I was in Home Depot last night looking for some Silicone for my DIY caves and was looking at the GE II, it looks like all the GE II has anti-fungal and mildew additive. The GE I didn't.

Thanks for that info guys, but what I want to know is can I use it underwater? i.e. I want to glue something to the back of the aquarium and don't want to take out all the water. 1st I want to glue a new 3D background to the aquarium and 2nd a little pipe for the airstone?

Most reactions

Back