Safe Place For Betta

TENNIS

Reaction score
IS IT OK TO PLACE A BETTA FISH IN A 1 GALLON FISH BOWL ON TOP OF A MICROWAVE OVEN. WILL THE RADIATION HARM THE FISH? :unsure:

I know what you mean...

:alien:

:lol:

Seriously, I am not sure if it is okay or not. Generally, I prefer tanks with flat sides than bowls. Was told bowls could damage the eyes of the fish. There is another thread, As for the microwave, I am not sure if it emits harmful radiation, but I can imagine that it would cause temp fluctuations around the tank and that is not good for the Betta.

Was told bowls could damage the eyes of the fish.
Don't worry, that's a myth :)

I'd move the fish just incase... I've read that there is a very small amount of radiation leakage from microwaves, which isn't enough to harm us in any way, but fish are more sensitive to that sort of thing.

Microwave radiation aside, don't you think constant door-slamming would bother the betta? I am fairly sure heat won't be too great an issue, as microwaves excite particles inside the chamber, not outside (roughly speaking). I think I'd at least endevour to put the betta in a place that wouldn't have lots of sudden jolts -- as from a slamming microwave door. *shrug*

In any case, I suspect that atop a microwave wouldn't be the happiest place to put your betta. Especially since microwaves tend to be in the kitchen. Wait, my gears are turning... wait for it...

Kitchens house actual Ovens and Dishwashers and Sinks, all of which lend towards an atmosphere prone to sudden peaks and fluctations in humdity and temperature, right around all our meal times. If your tank is unheated (unregulated), I think it'd most likely be a less than ideal place to house your guy.

That's all guess-work, though, obviously. :)

Thank all of you for your imput. I do not have the bowl on the microwave but was wondering if it would be ok or not. I actually have him on my kitchen counter (away from the stove of course) but i cant seem to keep the water at a good temp. I was thinking it was because its on an outside tile wall near a window. I dont know where else to keep him (out of reach of my 4 year old) which could be harmful to him (if you get what im saying :lol:

Thank all of you for your imput. I do not have the bowl on the microwave but was wondering if it would be ok or not. I actually have him on my kitchen counter (away from the stove of course) but i cant seem to keep the water at a good temp. I was thinking it was because its on an outside tile wall near a window. I dont know where else to keep him (out of reach of my 4 year old) which could be harmful to him (if you get what im saying :lol:

Consider getting a 5 gallon tank and a small heater. He'll surely prefer the extra room and you can do a bit of aquascaping to make it more attractive. 5 gallon tanks around these parts are very cheap ($10.00 or so) and a 25 watt heater can be had for under $30.00. Throw in some gravel and a fake plant or two and you'll have a happy fish.

Just my $0.02... good luck.

Also microwaves emit heat on the top of it. I've noticed it when the microwave in running and I put my hand on top of it, it was pretty hot. You could put the bowl in a warmer part of the house like maybe your bed room or the living room, whichever part of the house is warmer.

Most reactions

Back