Safe Algae Eater...

RZS

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi,

Was just wondering what would be the best choice for helping to "clean" up my 10 gallon.

Right now it has four Mollies in it, and will hopefully soon be a fry tank.

In the mean time, can anyone recommend what fish I could put in there to help out (since a common plec is out of the question due to size requirments etc.)?

Thanks again.

Well an oto would be the best choice. However, otos like to be in groups... and mollies get to about 4" each. Not to mension otos are rather sensitive fish and bad water quality (due to over-stocking in this case) would not do them good. As such, unless your mollies are still small and you don't have too many fry, I wouldn't go for otos. If you are planning to move the adult fish out in future, you could put otos into the new tank they are going into (if you need algae eaters there) but I would go for the shrimp as mentioned and keep them in the fry tank permanently.

i like shrimps myself, they're cool

one of mine shed last weke and i managed to save the shell. it's all dried up and pink now, so awesome! I haven't seen that shrimp yet so i guess the new shell is not finished!

sylvia said:
Well an oto would be the best choice. However, otos like to be in groups... and mollies get to about 4" each. Not to mension otos are rather sensitive fish and bad water quality (due to over-stocking in this case) would not do them good. As such, unless your mollies are still small and you don't have too many fry, I wouldn't go for otos. If you are planning to move the adult fish out in future, you could put otos into the new tank they are going into (if you need algae eaters there) but I would go for the shrimp as mentioned and keep them in the fry tank permanently.

Hi,

A quick question then... the 10 gallon is intended to become a fry exclusive tank once the Mollie gives birth, at which time all adult Mollies will be moved back into my 55 gallon.

So I suppose my concern is in finding something (perhaps as suggested) that will keep the tank clean until the fry (technically if any fry) are born. The issue is that my 55 definitely does not need any algae eaters, so if the Otto's will not be compatible with the fry, I will have to look elsewhere?

Am I correct?

yvez9 said:
i like shrimps myself, they're cool

one of mine shed last weke and i managed to save the shell. it's all dried up and pink now, so awesome! I haven't seen that shrimp yet so i guess the new shell is not finished!
Hi,

And thanks for your help as well.

Are there any precautions one should note when having these shrimp?

Actualy otos would be compatible with fry - it's just that if you put them in now (with adult mollies) you'll be over-stocking as otos like to be kept in small groups (at least 2 but 4-6 is better if there is space for them - they get to 2") and over-stocking with otos in a tank is very risky due to their sensitivity. :) So you can get a couple of otos for the fry tank once you've removed the adult mollies but they aren't the best option right now.

otocinclus cat fush, a small algea eater that likes to school, a single bristlenose would be a better idea IMO

You could always get a baby pleco and use it in that tank for awhile until its too big and then you can transfer it into your 55 gallon which should have some stuff for it to eat after awhile.

sylvia said:
Actualy otos would be compatible with fry - it's just that if you put them in now (with adult mollies) you'll be over-stocking as otos like to be kept in small groups (at least 2 but 4-6 is better if there is space for them - they get to 2") and over-stocking with otos in a tank is very risky due to their sensitivity. :) So you can get a couple of otos for the fry tank once you've removed the adult mollies but they aren't the best option right now.
Ok, thanks.

I definitely do not want to overstock, so I will go with the shrimp.

Opcn said:
otocinclus cat fush, a small algea eater that likes to school, a single bristlenose would be a better idea IMO
I've read about the Bristlenose, but would I have the same issues with it (regarding overstocking)?

Thanks.

Mollybreeder said:
You could always get a baby pleco and use it in that tank for awhile until its too big and then you can transfer it into your 55 gallon which should have some stuff for it to eat after awhile.
Hi and thanks,

I think my 55 is at the max for commons (2 in there right now at about 5" right now)? Plus a CAE which I am watching very carefully!

;)

Most reactions

Back