Rust in the tank??!!!

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

crackenhunter

Reaction score
I have a rust coloured substance starting to take over my tank and I haven't a clue what it is.

I was advised that it might be brown algae so I have treated the tank several times with Interpet "Green away" which is supposed to clear it up. No luck though!!

I can take the plants (plastic) out along with the rocks and clean them up then a couple of days later it's back and seems to get worse. It has also started to accumulate on the heater and glass near it.

The only consolation is that the fish seem ok.

Anyone any ideas what it might be and how to get rid of it.

I cannot give you any suggestions at the moment, you need to be a little more specific. Tell me what decoration and substrate you have in your tank. Is the rust powdery or solid? Prior to this rust showing, what was in your tank, have you added anything to the tank? What kind of tank do you have? Siliconed glass or framed sides. Have you put any additives in the tank. There are a lot of factors that could lead to this "rust" in your tank. Elimination Watson!, that way you'll find your answer. When you eliminate the improbable and you are left with the impossible-there lies your answer. :lol: :lol: :lol:

You mentioned rocks in the tank...be sure there is no Iron content in the rocks or you will definately get Rust.

i also had this rust coloured thing which was invading my tank which appeared from nowhere and even after it was washed it came back the next day, what i did was i bought a product from pets at home called "cleanaway", it looks like a giant tea-bag which u can put in the filter or anywhere in the tank, its for algae and to git rid of nitrates and nitrites and phosphates. It costs £2.99 and has done wonders for my tank and 4 days on no rusty marks on my glass, heater, rocks or ornaments :D

Most reactions

Back