Runaway Plant In Betta Tank

OpalineAqua

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I have this fake plant in a tank with my betta, Elliott. Almost every day I get home the plant is at the surface of the water floating, and it freaks Elliott out! I don't know what to do to get the plant to stay rooted in the gravel! :grr:

does the plant have any sort of base or is it just a 'stem'?

there is no such thing as "safe lead"...the lead weights that anglers use are actually part of a bit of a controversial topic...waterfowl are often found with loads of lead weights in their guts having died from the toixicity of them...there is a move to replace all lead fishing weights with less harmful/toxic metals to avoid this wildlife poisoning. it is a big deal around here (Upstate NY) as the common loon populations in the Adirondack Mountains are taking a huge hit due to lead weights.

so id stick to using a rock or something to hold down the plant. lead in any form is not good for the environment as a whole.

A rock or couple of pebbles?
I've tried putting heavy stuff on top of it like rocks but somehow it always ends up floating at the top! It's so wierd! :unsure:

Maybe it's haunted! :)

BTW, where in Wisconsin are you? I'm on the lakeshore.

I'm on the lakeshore too- in Milwaukee.

It has this little V-shaped plastic base.

Not sure where you're from but in Australia you can buy packets of "plant anchors" - they are little long heavy weights that you can secure to the end of the plant...They are made for aquariums.

Not sure where you're from but in Australia you can buy packets of "plant anchors" - they are little long heavy weights that you can secure to the end of the plant...They are made for aquariums.

I'm actually from Wisconsin, so I don't know if I'll be able to find them but I can try. :fish:

A rock or couple of pebbles?
I've tried putting heavy stuff on top of it like rocks but somehow it always ends up floating at the top! It's so wierd! :unsure:

Maybe it's haunted! :)

BTW, where in Wisconsin are you? I'm on the lakeshore.

I'm on the lakeshore too- in Milwaukee.

It has this little V-shaped plastic base.

I'm in Kewaunee - a ways north of you.

You could buy those sucker pad things and attach the 'stem' part of the plant to them. Then just secure it to the bottom of the tank and cover the pad with gravel.

Most reactions

Back