Rummy nose tetras

wtusa17

Fish Addict
Reaction score
Went to my lfs today and saw they had rummy nose tetras. I was looking for them for my 29 gallon. They said they hadn’t got any since October. Anything I should now before picking them up tomorrow? I’m thinking about getting 8 of them.

They are super sensitive to water quality and a bigger group looks stunning :) I have a shoal and love them. They need longer to acclimate in the bag then most fish IME as well as what I have read online

They are super sensitive to water quality and a bigger group looks stunning :) I have a shoal and love them. They need longer to acclimate in the bag then most fish IME as well as what I have read online
Ok great. What water qualities are they sensitive to? Do you mean float them for longer or drip acclamation?

Don't buy them if they just came in. Let them sit in the shop tank for a couple of weeks before buying them. As Juicebox said, they can be sensitive to water quality and sudden changes in water chemistry. Let them settle in at the shop and then put them in an established tank with good water. Once they settle in they are fine.

I think all water quality, but especially ammonia. They definitely need as soft of water as possible :) float longer, but you can do drip if you wish

Don't buy them if they just came in. Let them sit in the shop tank for a couple of weeks before buying them. As Juicebox said, they can be sensitive to water quality and sudden changes in water chemistry. Let them settle in at the shop and then put them in an established tank with good water. Once they settle in they are fine.
the only problem I have is that the shop owner said they sell out quick and they rarely get them in. What should I do?

Take a chance and buy them,
or leave them in the shop,
or ask the shop if you can buy them now and pick them up in 2 weeks when your tank has finished cycling. Just use the cycling tank as an excuse so they hold them for you.

Take a chance and buy them,
or leave them in the shop,
or ask the shop if you can buy them now and pick them up in 2 weeks when your tank has finished cycling. Just use the cycling tank as an excuse so they hold them for you.
I’ve heard them talking to someone else that they don’t hold. I’ll talk to them. My tank is cycled.

Also, I feel if I buy them and leave them in the store and one dies, then I still will have to pay for it. Should I just take them home and drip acclimate for a long time and keep a close eye on them? If I talk them into just holding them without me buying them, then yes I will leave them in case a couple die and I don’t have to pay for them.

Just ask the employees if they can hold some for you. If they can't, then you can risk buying them and hope for the best. Long acclimation is the key. Ask them what pH and GH they're keeping them in as well.

Just ask the employees if they can hold some for you. If they can't, then you risk buying them and hope for the best. Long acclimation is the key.
Ok I’ll ask. But if I can’t? Just a long drip acclamation?

Just float unless the stores parameters are way different

Most reactions

Back