Ruby tiger barb

Ellie20

Reaction score
71E9D483-9608-4851-8728-0723CBCAD2B1.jpeg

My ruby barb has started changing colour and gone really red, is there something wrong or is this normal. We have had it for a few months.

Last edited:
Is that even a Tiger Barb? I think its a Ruby barb starting to show real colors now that it's settled in.

Is that even a Tiger Barb? I think its a Ruby barb starting to show real colors now that it's settled in.
Sorry my mistake, it’s one we’ve had for a few months but is it normal for them to change colour?

A lot of the fish in fish shops have very bland colours because the fish are a bit stressed and in bare tanks…once they get “home” and relax and have plants and hiding places they do tend to colour up 🙂

This looks like a Black Ruby Barb, species Pethia nigrofasciata. This is a shoaling fish, it needs a group and the group should be in the range of 9-12. On its own, it will be stressed. And before you say it, this stress does not always show itself, until it is too late.

They do color up much better than in the store. The more the better..but,fish are survivors and one fish can live well in an aquarium if its clean and they are well fed. Still,when I've had groups or pairs that died to one? They really were happy when I later added more. Sometimes it takes months before I can find more.

Most reactions

Back