Rtbs & Clown Loach

andyt_uk

Fishaholic
Reaction score
title says it all really
used to have a lovely RTBS one of our all time fave fish
recently got 2 clown loach, but would love another RTBS
being bottom dwellers, of similar shape, would it be too risky, or an OK idea?

all opinions gratefully received

Hi mate,

Had a friend that successfully kept 2 clowns with a RTBS, no probs. Thinking of the same when I get my new tank up and running.

Hope it goes well! :good:

I have 2 clown and 1 RTBS on the same tank. They get along great.

Though I'd recommend not getting another one. I had two, but my biggest one would never leave it alone.

Difficult call.

Ideally, Botias should be in a group of at least 3. RTBS, as you say, are often intolerent of fish that occupy the same space and have the same shape. In my experience, the biggest factor determinig success or failure is the temprement of the individual RTBS. Whilst all of them are somewhat territorial, some can be downright evil.

In a large tank with a lot of cover, if it is a "dream fish", then try it. You'll need to keep a close eye on things of course, and be ready to act if it goes pear shaped.

clrtbs.jpg

I had my rtbs in with clown loaches for a while, as you can see in the picture they all got on well, sharing the same caves & were pretty much inseparable but they were all introduced together so this may have something to do with the it.

Difficult call.

Ideally, Botias should be in a group of at least 3. RTBS, as you say, are often intolerent of fish that occupy the same space and have the same shape. In my experience, the biggest factor determinig success or failure is the temprement of the individual RTBS. Whilst all of them are somewhat territorial, some can be downright evil.

In a large tank with a lot of cover, if it is a "dream fish", then try it. You'll need to keep a close eye on things of course, and be ready to act if it goes pear shaped.

I agree. I had one a while back that was a very healthy fish. It had the dark black body and the deep red tail, but it got very nasty. It was fine for about 2 weeks and then starting chasing everything in the tank. I didnt keep it with any botias, but it did chase some 2.5" 3 spot gouramis all over the tank. The RTBS was maybe 1.5"

Ive read they are really aggressive if they are the biggest fish in the tank and especially if they dont enough space to establish a territory. The clown loaches should out grow the RTBS quickly and probably wont put up with its agression that long.

in my 400ltr tank I currently have 11x clowns 1xRTBS and 1x ruby shark
all get on great.
however I'd not recomend putting the two sharks together in any tank smaller than mine.

Mine get along fine. The clowns do at times seem to bother the RTBs, but he just swims away. It looks like they try to play with him, and he'll have nothing to do with them.

IMG_0006.jpg

In my small 3ft tank :eek: i have a RTBS and 2 Albino rainbow sharks (i think some of you refer to them as Ruby Sharks ) Well they get on ok only thing is you really do need alot of hiding space for then PVC pipes and lots of plants are a must !

Richie

Most reactions

Back