Rope/Reed Fish

Gill

Store Manager Coalville Aquatics
Reaction score
Went to a Garden Centre that I had never been to.

OMG there Aquatic Section Was Amazing. Very Big.

All the Tanks were Amazing. Approx 40 Tropical Tanks - 20 Cold - 20 Marine.

Well I got another Sparkling Gourami and A Lyretail Orange Swordtail.

I Noticed they had some Reed/Rope Fish. And they were Very Reasonably priced.
They Looked young as were 1cm Diameter, and 10 cm length.

Question

Too Much for my Tank Or Not. Y/N

CFC told me that they can get 18 inches in captivuty and the guy at the petstore said not to keep them with small fish(tetras) or slow fish (bettas). They need a 55 gallon at least. I might be getting a 40 long for my b-day. Since they have the same footprint you can get either. They have bad eyesight and find food by smell and eat fish when they are resting on the bottom at night. The rope will bump them a few times to see if its food and then chow down. Their faces have so much character.

Ok thanks for the Info.

Won't be getting it then.

Good choice. I'm stuck with mine and I have a choice to return him which= No money spent, or buy a bigger tank which means no more $. I think I'm going to get another tank. It's a good excuse to get more oddballs :shifty:

Whoa.....

Agreed. Ropefish need space - or will, though, that's not a reason to not consider their addition and the necessary arrangements to be made.
Mine are currently in my "hospital" - which is a temporary, tall 25 Gall (30 X 24 inches?) tank. They've had to work it out in there for about 2 weeks. No problem!
(They're there so I can remove snail infestation from my 55 gall.) They could easily live there for a couple of years! Just change the water. Remember, they arean't like 'normal' fish, in that they would rather coil and slither, than stand erect.

In my (granted, early) experience with them, I couldn't ask for a more engaging, conversational, sweet fish! I'm Sooooo glad I bought a mate for the previous one I had. They're not known to mate in captivety, though that's not a big deal, and I'm glad! They need to have another (regardless of sex) to 'curl' with.

Point being, they really are 'cat-like' in their magnetism. Anybody who has a ropefish would back me up.

Not trying to suggest you do something you'll regret (or they), but for what it's worth, if they caught your eye at the LFS, I guarantee, you'll be highly entertained and amused with these guys. Yes, they will eat "small" fish (fry - but which ones don't?) and I even found my two guys curled up in the "Fry Basket" which contained newborn swordtails. MOST of the fry were still flipping around the next morning. (Sneaky little devils). Ropes go with smell, not sight. Neons, dianos, and probably guppies, should be just fine!

They are NOT aggressive. They just look that way!

Again, I'd never suggest an investment in aquaria (or any animal) that couldn't be properly looked after, but more, to inform you of the 'cool' nature of these fish. IF you think you're into it for the long run, then consider Ropefish!

PS - Apparently the can crawl out of the tank - though mine haven't. 1 year now.

back to you...

hello there i had two @ the same time that i got my dragon goby like i say i had mine for about a year then they seemed to both go--- anyway there was lots of hiding places in my tank and then i found one of them swimming around one night anyway he soon went as well.. all later to be found under my tank. One wrapped round my air hose i grabbed hold of the air hose and i felt something snap god i Shat myself then a couple of months later i was moving some cables around, i grabbed hold of one of the cables and that snapped. again i shat myself.
also on the feeding habits i noticed mine to be slow feeders whenever i put in bloodworms but then they got tamer and tamer.
but when little fish went in. They came out like snakes even in the daytime and just pounced on them swallowing them down like proper snakes so i would say they do eat small fish well @ least mine did (they are cool fish)
ps: they are very quick @ sniffing out food when they want to be!!!!!!

I recently acquired one about 3 weeks ago.
I have been concerned about it since I got it.
For the first week I could not get it to eat cause my cichlids take al the food.
then a few feeder fish were killed by my cichlids and the rope fish was able to eat the carcuses and live on that.
I recently bought some krill and at first it ate from my hand as I reached down and waved it in front of him.
After that he has been more resistant.
I've tried putting the krill in a filter inlet tube, but my small sichlids get to it.

What do you guys feed your rope fish and how do you feed it?

I place raw shrimp and krill on a feeding stick for my rope fish. They also accept frozen brine shrimp, beef heart and blood worms (I place the food in front of them).

I don't keep cichlids but I need to distract my clown loaches with shrimp pellets while I feed the sea food.

My rope fish won't always eat the shrimp or krill. They take just a few pieces every feeding and refuse the rest. They are the least gluttonous fish I ever kept. By the way, they are 11 and 9 inches.

Most reactions

Back