Root Tab Question

Bleuet

Reaction score
This is probably a stupid question but do pre-dissolved root tabs work like liquid fertilizers for plants that aren't mainly root feeders? Or just putting a tab in the gravel and letting it dissolve for those plants? Do they only benefit root feeders? Sorry for the strange question but I would really like to know, thanks for any help.

I don't think it would cause a lot of harm but I've never tried it. One of the main sources of food for the roots of plants is, oxygen. The roots take up oxygen, sugars and minerals and with light respire CO2. They do make a product that feeds plants above the roots. I have not tried it. My concern is more for the fish than the plants. There's a lot of inert fiber in those things. If I only had plants in my tank, I might go for it.

Sorry for a late post - But don't dissolve plant tabs to pour in to the water. The better ones contain ammonia which you don't want in the water column. The rubbish clay type ones need to be in the substrate also, so they can store any available nutrient.

HTH

Most reactions

Back