Rocks For Tank

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

samiam9818

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm thinking of redecorating my tank and want to try for a more natural look. I've already bought some drift wood, but I'm wondering where a good place to look for safe stones for my tank would be.

I've looked around my yard and my neighbors places but haven't been able to find anything.

Any suggestions?

Oh, and is there any special way to clean them?

Seaside. Just don't pick chalky ones. As a good rule of thumb, if you drop vinegar on them and they fizz, it's a bad rock for the tank. Soak all rocks in water for 24h or so, preferably boil them up to kill any nasties. Your LFS may well do cheap rock; mine does 10kg bags for a tenner, of varying types; glassy, quartzy, slatey...

Edit: can't spell :)

Look along creeks, rivers, lakes any place that has water. Once you find them you will want to boil them to kill off the bacteria.

Stay away from sandstone, limestone, and granite.

It all depends on what fish you aim to keep.

Fish from the Amazon like slightly acidic water, but fish from the African rift lakes prefer basic water.

The rocks you chose can have a large effect upon the water's pH.

my advice would be to go for a walk in a park near you or walk down the river, luckily we have a river near me and are spoilt for choice in the stones area lol :)

It isn't usually a good idea to boil rocks, it seems that some of them have a nasty habbit of exploding. Basically u don't know what is inside them and they may contain something that doesn't respond well to extended heating. Washing/rinsing it boiling water is alright, but leaving them in a pan on the hob isn't the best idea.

garden centers? or just near streams etc as the water will have eroded it away so it look natural :good:

I bought some really cheap huge pieces of slate from a local garden centre - you can make some awesome shapes Its tons cheaper than those tiny ones in the fish shops and you can get green, pink multicoloured - all sorts!

It isn't usually a good idea to boil rocks, it seems that some of them have a nasty habbit of exploding. Basically u don't know what is inside them and they may contain something that doesn't respond well to extended heating. Washing/rinsing it boiling water is alright, but leaving them in a pan on the hob isn't the best idea.

You only need to bring them to a boil. Once they hit the boiling point, all the bacteria is dead. No need to keep it in there longer.

As someone else mentioned boiling rocks can be jolly dangerous.

SOme rocks have large cavities inside which contain air.

If they are boiled the contents of these cavities can expand, sometimes causing explosions.

Please be careful, if you have marine fish or fish that like a high-ish pH like rift lake cichlids please look at my posts or PM me to see the ebay seller who is selling ocean rock for a reallly cheap price, with cheap postage.

If you have marine or fish that like a high pH the rocks Iam on about are great!

doris

ps. Iam not the seller and I dont know him. I just think that they are a bargain.

edit. Oops sorry, I just noticed you live in the States so the seller I mentiojned cannot be much good for you.

Most reactions

Back