Rocks For Mbunas

JMatthew

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
With pet store rocks being so stupidly expensive, surely this is another way to get and stock you tank with rocks for Mbunas! Please share!

Rob some pebbles from the beach descretley ;) they look better to :)

Of course i paid for mine..... ;)

What rock did you want?

Geez - I really don't know. Something that looks nice and maybe can be stacked to create a few caves and such. I saw a picture on here of someone with several flat rocks stacked leave a holes here and there to be swam through...

Ocean rocks around £35-£50 for 25kg as cichid crazy says if you don't want to pay for some try lakes and streams.
Pond rocks are nice and cheap have you tried ebay rocks and wood can be had just for the price of the fuel to get them.

If you live in the UK Cotswold rockery stone, as sold by various DIY stores and garden centres works well. I use it in my RF tanks. Its normally priced £3-4 per piece, at Homebase its £3.49, the size doesn't seem to really matter. I got a piece which was 18x12x7inches there, its just a case of hunting in the cage. As its limestone it also helps buffer the tank.

The rock in my tank is a mixture of Big smooth stones which originally came from a river bed and pond (many years ago and on my Grans farm), they had been round a pond for the last 7 years. The more craggy looking bits like the big one on the left is Kentish ragstone, a local limestone normally very very hard and heavy can be bought from garden centres, or as another poster mentioned can sometimes be salvaged from someone just wanting to dump it, mine came from a fireplace that was dismantled in a house my mate bought.

ocean rock all the way, as if you dont notice your females spitting fry they have plenty of hiding places and dont end up as food,

other smoother rocks just dont have the hding places etc, plus also if you have ocean rock, they fish graze off them allot better as more places for biys to hide etc,

ocean rock all the way, as if you dont notice your females spitting fry they have plenty of hiding places and dont end up as food,

other smoother rocks just dont have the hding places etc, plus also if you have ocean rock, they fish graze off them allot better as more places for biys to hide etc,

Where is there to get cheap ocean rock?

I gave up given that I estimated I would need to have spent about £600 to fill my tank at the cheapest ocean rock price I could find.

I gave up given that I estimated I would need to have spent about £600 to fill my tank at the cheapest ocean rock price I could find.

How big is your tank and were about do you live I can get it £35per 25kg bag here. If I drive 10miles down the road its £50per 25kg bag.

How big is your tank and were about do you live I can get it £35per 25kg bag here. If I drive 10miles down the road its £50per 25kg bag.

Well its 100G and its got a lot of rock in it, I have one piece that weighs 40kg so I reckon about 250kg, so maybe I could get it for £350 but I can't find it that cheap in Kent, and I think the OP was looking for a cheap alternative.

That's so expensive!

I have a LFS that sells 25KG bags for £25, and I have an ebay seller who sells 25KG bags for £24 (or less sometimes). Guess I'm lucky I have these local choices!

Most reactions

Back