Rocks And Ph Question

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

XeroTolerance

If You Ain't Blasting, You Ain't Lasting!
Reaction score
Hi, so I am setting up an african cichlid tank. As many know, they prefer harder water in the 8.0ish range. Unfortunately for me, my tap is 7.4. Just recently after setting up the aquascape, the rocks I added raised the pH to 8.2. The perfect condition! Not knowing the rocks were going to raise the pH I now have a few questions as I have no experience with this part of the hobby!

1. Will the rocks always keep the pH at a consistent number or will it lower over a long period? Basically, do the rocks lose their buffering abilities after being in an aquarium for a long time?

2. When I do water changes, is it a big deal that the tap water that I am adding to the tank is about 7.4? Do I need to do anything to it beforehand?

Thanks for feedback :)

im not entirely sure but i wouldnt be suprised if the person who has the knowled to help asks for the type of rock. it would probably help if you named the type of rock. as an example limestone is very basic. :)

Thanks but I have no idea the type of rock it is! Bought them for "rock" bottom prices at my local rock shop. Yup I have a rock shop hahaha. Sadly the type of rock is unknown since it was all thrown in a bin. Whatever it is, it does raise the pH a good amount though.

The effects of the rocks lifting your pH might only be temporary, make sure you test the water everyday just in case there are fluctuations, or if it will decrease. I hope this helps.

Thanks! So I had the rocks in for a couple days now. Will the pH keep rising or is it at the max currently?

I am unsure. Asking EaglesAquarium would be a great idea, he knows all about this type of stuff :)

Most reactions

Back