Ro Water Question

So, you keep your tank at 28C and your tap runs at 11C

I assume you usually change no more than 50% of your water in one go - that means the tank temperature would drop to 19.5C and immediately start warming up.

That is an 8.5C change in temperature, not a 17C shock as you put it.

That isn't going to cause your fish any harm at all.

Hi
If you read the post correctly, I said "I would also say that these temps are a result of the water mixing, and that any fish directly in the influx of new water may be subjected to temps a lot lower. My tap water is approx 11 degrees c, so theoretically there could be anything upto a 17 degree shock for my fish."

last time i looked 28 minus 11 is 17

I assume you usually change no more than 50% of your water in one go - that means the tank temperature would drop to 19.5C and immediately start warming up.

Hi
If you read the post correctly, I said "I would also say that these temps are a result of the water mixing, and that any fish directly in the influx of new water may be subjected to temps a lot lower. My tap water is approx 11 degrees c, so theoretically there could be anything upto a 17 degree shock for my fish."

but take into consideration that it would more than likely be half that because your only doing a 50% water change

PH swings of 1PH and temp swings of 10-12 degrees wont do any harm as people make out, this happens in the wild in some areas

I find it very unlikely that those types of temp swings would happen in a couple of seconds in the wild? But i would be really interested to hear about such areas :good:

PH swings of 1PH and temp swings of 10-12 degrees wont do any harm as people make out, this happens in the wild in some areas

I find it very unlikely that those types of temp swings would happen in a couple of seconds in the wild? But i would be really interested to hear about such areas :good:
well not instantly, but it happens.

Hi

but take into consideration that it would more than likely be half that because your only doing a 50% water change

No, you're missing the point. If I pour Fresh tap water at 11 degrees into a tank and it directly flows onto a fish the temp difference would be anything upto 17. I takes a few seconds for the cold water to mix into the warmer water.

Plus the fact, the majority of my water changes are on juvenile fish.

I'd also be interested to know if the people who do use cold water for their changes float their new fish from the lfs?

if you think about it fish bought from an LFS are going to be stressed so a different temp will stress them out even more! whereas if theyre happy they may well enjoy a water change. that is cooler.

a water change may or may not stress fish but IMO will be fine.

if you stated juvinile fish in the first place, this thread may have gone somewhere different...

and if your tanks are 28oC doing a 50 % water change with water of 11 degrees should theoretically take it down by 8.5 degrees

i might just buy a few gallons of ro first to see if any spawning occurs with cold water

Hi Beechey

I use a HMA filter for my Discus tank and my CA/SA tank.

Its plumbed directly into the cold water supply and when I do a water change I run the 1/4" tubing from the filter straight into my tank and slowly run the cold water directly into it.

It takes about a minute a litre for the water to go into the tank and cos it runs so slowly and the tubing is such a small bore, it hardly makes any difference to the temperature, maybe 1 to 2 degrees if that.

Hope that helps. :)

Hi

True.

But a quick "gust" of cold water isn't doing to do any harm. No moreso than we react to a gust of cold wind.

Hi Beechey

I use a HMA filter for my Discus tank and my CA/SA tank.

Its plumbed directly into the cold water supply and when I do a water change I run the 1/4" tubing from the filter straight into my tank and slowly run the cold water directly into it.

It takes about a minute a litre for the water to go into the tank and cos it runs so slowly and the tubing is such a small bore, it hardly makes any difference to the temperature, maybe 1 to 2 degrees if that.

Hope that helps. :)

That's my personal solution too - I remove 40% of my water - the heaters and filter intakes are just below this level, so I leave everything on.

Then I run a hose, and slowely run cold water into my tank. No "gusts" of cold water and no quick drop in overall temperature to harm my fish.

By the end of the process, yes the water is about 5-7C lower than at the start, but it doesn't do any harm - my young discus still come to get food from me when I take the hose out!!

Most reactions

Back