Ro Versus Tap Water

Memz said:
Good morning, tested the tap water just now, it has been sitting for over 20 hours and these are the results:

PH, 7.5

Ammonia, 0

Nitrite, 0

Nitrate, 5

So, with these results in mind, is there any reason why I shouldn't use tap water every other week? I poured the required amount into the barrel I use yesterday and added the specified amount of 'Tap Safe'. Should I use this or just go to the lfs and get the RO water with minerals that they are used to? Thanks again.

Hi Memz, like Fluttermouth says, hardness is an important parameter in the water and you could really do with getting a GH/KH test kit to see how hard your water is. You say you get furred up kettles and scum in tea, this would suggest a fairly high hardness reading and this could potentially limit the kind of fish you want in there. Maybe if you list the the type of fish you want and get some hardness results, people can advise you further
good.gif

Well, I can now see one of the reasons most people advise against "chemical buffering". Double dosed 55 gallons nearly a week ago with "Proper PH 6.5" that brought levels way down. But the last couple of days water became very cloudy.Turned off filters and ten hours later bottom of tank covered with precipitate. Is this stuff poisonous? Or could I vacuum it up and keep water?

Hi Memz, like Fluttermouth says, hardness is an important parameter in the water and you could really do with getting a GH/KH test kit to see how hard your water is. You say you get furred up kettles and scum in tea, this would suggest a fairly high hardness reading and this could potentially limit the kind of fish you want in there. Maybe if you list the the type of fish you want and get some hardness results, people can advise you further
good.gif

Thanks Tony, I'll look for a GH/KH test kit and see what that says, but to get them used to the tap water I think I'll use RO every other week for a while and then gradually increase the tap water..... unless of course the results of the GH/KH tests are ridiculous.

Redbone, as a newbie to this hobby, I'm afraid I can't answer you but how about post your question in the 'Emergencies' section? You may get told off a bit for using the chemical but I'm sure people will realise you want to put it right and do what's best for your fish. Good luck.

i know absolutely nothing about all this hardness, ph, gh stuff! all i know is that on my test kit (that is kinda old and not sure i trust the restults haha) says i have "Very Hard" water says total hardness GH ppm - freshwater 300 VERY HARD. total alkalinity KH ppm - freshwater 300 HIGH. pm level - freshwater 8.4 again who knows how old this testing kit is my dad brought it over for me. but ive never had an issue with any fish ive had except 1 bout of white spot with my heater went haywire and my tank temp fluxed to much and now having a small bout of a fungal infection that probably got introduced when i added my two new angels. good luck!

Wish my fish were as hardy as yours K. You obviously know what you're doing. I'm trying to learn as quick as I can. :blush:

Anyway...... just filling my kettle earlier, it's one of those filter ones which drips through before you turn it on, then looked at my Bri**a water filter, with a flash of inspiration..... can I use filtered water for my water changes or would it filter out any goodness along with the chalk?

Most reactions

Back