Ro Unit - Attach It When I Need It?

natwood

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I'm looking at getting an RO Unit and am just wondering if you can get ones that you can attach when you need to use it, rather than having it permanently plumbed in?
Also, can you just hook it up to a tap in the bath tub or does it not work like that? I can't really attach it anywhere else.

*Edit*
I've just had a reply off someone on ebay saying "This unit can be supplied with either a self piercing connector (to connect to standard copper pipe) or alternatively a barber hose connector to fit a standard garden hose pipe."

(Item: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260531524800)

Would I be ok to just attach it to my garden tap/hose whenever I needed to use it then?

I think so - but if the membrane dries out it's knackered and you have to buy a new one...

I keep mine plummed in udner the sink using the self tapping connector. and then use ball valves on both outputs (clean and waste) to keep the unit "primed" and therefore wet.

I think so - but if the membrane dries out it's knackered and you have to buy a new one...

I keep mine plummed in udner the sink using the self tapping connector. and then use ball valves on both outputs (clean and waste) to keep the unit "primed" and therefore wet.

Thanks for that. I think I'm going to go for it and see how it goes ^-^

if you add ball valves on the input and both wste you can clsoe the unit totally and keep it "wet".

I'd suggest doing that unless you want to shell out a lot for new membranes...

Does anybody know..if you attach it under your sink..could you have the water coming out of a separate tap in the sink? Turns out I might be able to have it there after all.

Does anybody know..if you attach it under your sink..could you have the water coming out of a separate tap in the sink? Turns out I might be able to have it there after all.

Hi Nat,

Its not uncommon for people to fit them under the sink. Usually people put a Y-splitter on the washing machine cold feed and attach the RO inlet adapter to that. The only thing you'd have to do then is feed the waste from the RO somewhere and the RO water you want to keep into the jerry can.

Just make sure its the cold feed and not the hot, otherwise you'll knacker the RO membrane!

Y-Splitter. You remove the washing machine hose from the crome fitting and replace it with one of these. You then connect the washing machine hose to one of the Y pieces

ccc6_2.JPG

The adapter below should be the thing supplied with the RO machine, as mentioned by the company you contacted. This screws onto the other thread of the Y splitter.

John Guest 1/2" BSP Tap Connector for 1/4" Tube

CI320814S.jpg

You'll also need 3 of these 1/4" ball valves. One for the feed into the RO machine. One for the waste and one for the RO outlet. If the RO machine you are buying doesn't have a flush valve, I'd suggest you get one as this prolongs the life of the membrane.
quick21.jpg

Hi Nat,

Its not uncommon for people to fit them under the sink. Usually people put a Y-splitter on the washing machine cold feed and attach the RO inlet adapter to that. The only thing you'd have to do then is feed the waste from the RO somewhere and the RO water you want to keep into the jerry can.

Just make sure its the cold feed and not the hot, otherwise you'll knacker the RO membrane!

Y-Splitter. You remove the washing machine hose from the crome fitting and replace it with one of these. You then connect the washing machine hose to one of the Y pieces

ccc6_2.JPG

The adapter below should be the thing supplied with the RO machine, as mentioned by the company you contacted. This screws onto the other thread of the Y splitter.

CI320814S.jpg

You'll also need 3 of these 1/4" ball valves. One for the feed into the RO machine. One for the waste and one for the RO outlet. If the RO machine you are buying doesn't have a flush valve, I'd suggest you get one as this prolongs the life of the membrane.
quick21.jpg

I have a simular setup as I'm dont have space to plum internally. I just connect it to the garden hose tap and use it when I need it. Worked well for past 5 years although the benefit of having it inside is speed at which you filter the water. The warmer it is (house temperature) the better the unit works so in summer it works brilliantly and in winter its pretty slow at producing RO water. Also wath out for frosts if you forget and leave it outside
crazy.gif

Hi Nat,

ccc6_2.JPG

CI320814S.jpg

quick21.jpg

I do mine this way :good: might have had a little flood one upon a time with those copper pipe jobbies :cool:
so long as you add the little valve so you can turn it off when your done.

PS you wont get anywhere near 50 GPD...how much you will get depends on the water pressure you get.

http://www.osmotics.co.uk/3-stage-50-gallon-per-day-reverse-osmosis-system-p-99.html?cPath=46_79

Thanks for that everyone. I think I'm just going to do it in the garden. Too much messing otherwise. Haha. Plus my parents would go mad if I flooded the new kitchen that we're getting soon ^-^

my mum wasnt best chuffed either :p

At least they cant divorce you like my wife nearly did
yes.gif
(legally anyhow)

Great! Now the price of RO units is going to shoot through the roof due to shortages, as masses of men purchase and poorly plumb-in RO machines in a bid to get shot of their wives! Good one Scubadaz :sly:

Complicated stuff. My RO unit comes with both a faucet attachment and garden hose attachment. Screw on. Screw. Easy peasy. No piercing or anything. Goes under the sink. Take it out on weekends. Make a few gallons. Pop back under. Voila. SH :cool:

Complicated stuff. My RO unit comes with both a faucet attachment and garden hose attachment. Screw on. Screw. Easy peasy. No piercing or anything. Goes under the sink. Take it out on weekends. Make a few gallons. Pop back under. Voila. SH :cool:

Oh wow, I want one that screws onto a tap that would be really handy. I wonder if I could get one of those in the UK.

Most reactions

Back