Rigging Up A Light Unit

Rorie

Fish Herder
Reaction score
I have 6 small aquariums, ranging from 30-70l. They are for breeding etc.

I want to rig up a simple system for lighing them. Ideally they will not be lighing within the hoods (as they are just acrylic type things)

What i am thinking is suspending lighting units. I can line all the tanks up, and have a simple rigging system over them, where lights are hung from. This will allow me to get full access to the tanks without being restricted etc.

So what is the best way to do this in the way of lights? I have a railing system already, so just need things below this.

On ebay there is loads of lighting units etc. I gather i need a starter, or 'controler'. I need somthing to hold the lights, which i can suspend by wires. There is a guy on ebay selling things that look like i can make up my own arrangement of lights etc. Does anyone have experiance of this?

Search for AquaRay MMS Crosslink Bar x 2

Basically..... is there anything out there that is some sort of DIY style unit which i can suspend from wires? I would need to ensure i could get a reflector in there too.

Any idea of best lighting (wattage per L) for breeding?

Hi Rorie. This is true DIY project I see forming here. What I have used in the past is a series of so called "clamp lamps" suspended from a crossbar and use those curly CFL bulbs. This allows you flexibility in how they are arranged (or rearranged) and once they are in place, a few zip ties will ensure that the light doesn't fall into the tank if the clamp ever slips. The reflectors will give you a nice wide area of light while keeping it from flooding the room.

It's simple, practicable, and inexpensive.

Hi Rorie. This is true DIY project I see forming here. What I have used in the past is a series of so called "clamp lamps" suspended from a crossbar and use those curly CFL bulbs. This allows you flexibility in how they are arranged (or rearranged) and once they are in place, a few zip ties will ensure that the light doesn't fall into the tank if the clamp ever slips. The reflectors will give you a nice wide area of light while keeping it from flooding the room.

It's simple, practicable, and inexpensive.

Good thinking batman!

Do you use any sort of special light for the aquarium, or just a normal house bulb? Do the fish not like a special spectrum of light?

Most reactions

Back