Riccia

Fish Buddy

Fish Addict
Reaction score
All of the pictures I have seen of Riccia are on the bottom of the tank attatched to wood or rock and it looks great. So I buy a bag of it and what does it do? floats!

My question is, how do you get your riccia to stay at the bottom and look good?

ROLF, yeah, Riccia is a floating plant really, its just ppl tie it down.

Try fishing line, or cotton thread. I have used a hair net before too and that works equally well if you can fit it over your rock or wood. Goodluck.

Edited 30/07/05: if your reading this stop now and read the pinned article in the planted section. it's much more informative and i have now learnt the riccia does not need to be matted, in fact works better if it isn't.

now come on all thats needed is about 30 mins of time, some cotton thread and a lump of bogwood.

the riccia needs to be matted together first. if it's all loose bits make a loop of air tubing (poke one end into the other).

put your floating loop in the tank (floating fence)

dump the bits of riccia into the loop and leave it for about 2 weeks and dont touch it at all.

after 2 weeks you'll have a matted mass of moss.

take this slab of riccia out of the tank very gently, lay it on a piece of bogwood and wrap cotton thread (preferably green) around it tightly enough to hold it in place but not so tight as to cut into the plant.

then tie off the end of the thread and submerge your new riccia coated log.

this pic was taken immediatly after making the back log, (all the riccia on the back log grew from the "carpet" in front of it) you can then repeat the cycle after about a month as when riccia grows bits float off to the surface, put back in the loop and so on...

replantedriccia.jpg

much more rewarding than chucking a stem plant in the gravel and looks great as well

HAHAHAH, nice posting Jimboo!

Maybe make a seperate thread and GF could pinn it in the planted section! :D

Most reactions

Back