reverse osmosis water for guppies

I am not familiar with that product so can't comment but Dennerle is a reputable company. The results you posted are exactly what I would expect.

First water change done, (hour or 5 ago) they already looking much better...
While some black would be greyed out at times it is now real black black and that for all colours.
Surprisingly already after only 20% water change.

Will update over 8 days...

Actually same thing here, I don't like a substrate or crushed coral in some way or another in the tank because I don't know what is going on.
It is the same for cycling tanks, hence why I cycle me tanks fish-less with ammonium chloride powder, I know what I put in so I know what comes out.
With corals it could be fine if you do weekly changes but if you miss a week or two because of reasons, if not longer, who knows what it is doing.

With prime I don't mean just prime, I mean all water conditioners so yes in the end i'm gonna need to go RO anyway.

I'm still getting me head around what is what, started this all a year ago with no knowledge whatsoever beside leaving it stand for 6 weeks...
But yes since 5 (females) turned out to be 83 by now? started with a 5 gallon, got now 2 30 gallons and 1 60 gallon. (not to mentioned me smaller tanks but those are offline atm)
I'm not saying they doing bad on me tap water, I just know they can do better after the little experience.

The liquid test kits are from Colombo, a dutch brand which except if you live in the uk you never heard of.
Basically just the API test kit re-branded... (in mine opinion works even better than the JBL set, had that one to)

@utahfish

I read over it the first time, so I could use this to increase me GH for now? (seachem equilibrium)
It is not about the price, just yet, I have a big pot of this already so and once we go RO we gotta change the plan anyway.
First you tell me not to use it, secondly you tell everything to increase GH is inside there?!?

Guaranteed Analysis
Amounts per 1 g
Soluble Potash (K2O)23.0%
Calcium (Ca)8.06%
Magnesium (Mg)2.41%
Iron (Fe)0.11%
Manganese (Mn)0.06%

(To raise mineral content/general hardness (GH) by 1 meq/L (3 dH), add 16 g (1 tablespoon) for every 80 L)
so how can it be meant to bring the water to GH 7 ? it says it increases the GH, no where does it says only until 7...

And at the begin I was wondering that if I go to RO would seachem equilibrium and an alkaline buffer be enough. for now it is a waste the alkaline but what if you got RO and you start with GH0 KH0?
Seachem equilubrium is designed and marketed as a product to bring water to 7 dgh as seachem believes thats the opitimal water hardness for plants whixh is why equilibrium has the added potassium iron and manganese. Those 3 have nothing to do with hardness and are just in the mix for the benefit of the plants, the calcium and magnesium are what Raise GH. Which is why i suggested if all one hopes to accomplish is raising GH then there are other effective less expensive ways to do so. Having said that since you already have the equilibrium it will raise your GH as dosed without any harm to your fish. As seangee has stated above other products like salty shrimp may be more effective and suitable at raising GH for harder water fish as thats what they are specifically designed for where as a product like equilibrium while it will raise your gh it was specifically designed to raise GH to suitable levels for planted tanks.
Sorry for the confusion hope you figure it out. Id suggest staying away from any products that have sodium chloride in them as the build up of sodium in tanks is harmful to most fish over an extended amount of time.

I use RO to soften my hard water for my tetras. I would suggest you pick up a TDS-3 water pen meter that will give you your water hardness in ppm and a PH-009(I)A to measure your waters PH. They cost around 10 USD each and you can buy them on E-bay or Amazon. That way you can measure where your water is at.

I use RO to soften my hard water for my tetras. I would suggest you pick up a TDS-3 water pen meter that will give you your water hardness in ppm and a PH-009(I)A to measure your waters PH. They cost around 10 USD each and you can buy them on E-bay or Amazon. That way you can measure where your water is at.
Yeah good idea, no longer need to test every-time that way, just put the pens in before and after.

You guys have any idea about what would be best for guppies? KH / GH.
While google would tell you this: PH 6.8 - 7.8 KH 6 - 10 GH 8 - 12...
While cory from aquarium coop says they like "hard" water which is GH 12 - 18 PPM 210 - 320. (and also a much higher PH, even up to 8.5)
I'm not gonna bring me water up to there, probably not even gonna work with me PH and all that but you can't deny he knows a thing or two about guppies.
The worst part about fish-keeping is that everybody says something else and then you also have the sale guys who just don't care as-long you buy their products.
Yes a lot of different ways work, but they ain't even close to being right for the fish most of the time.

What would be the *ugh* *ugh* best water parameters for guppies?

My local tap water is 134ppm PH 7.0 so I keep my guppies in that. The city has a RO unit that brings down the lake water hardness which is where I get my water from. The LFS is on city well water which is between 228-235ppm. Guppies can handle a wider range of water than many fish.

Yeah good idea, no longer need to test every-time that way, just put the pens in before and after.

You guys have any idea about what would be best for guppies? KH / GH.
While google would tell you this: PH 6.8 - 7.8 KH 6 - 10 GH 8 - 12...
While cory from aquarium coop says they like "hard" water which is GH 12 - 18 PPM 210 - 320. (and also a much higher PH, even up to 8.5)
I'm not gonna bring me water up to there, probably not even gonna work with me PH and all that but you can't deny he knows a thing or two about guppies.
The worst part about fish-keeping is that everybody says something else and then you also have the sale guys who just don't care as-long you buy their products.
Yes a lot of different ways work, but they ain't even close to being right for the fish most of the time.

What would be the *ugh* *ugh* best water parameters for guppies?

A GH of 10 dGH (= 179 ppm) and a pH of 7.0 should be considered the lowest levels for guppies. Anything above that is fine, but not less.

Having said that, here again we get into trying to pin things down to specifics. Everyone wants "the" GH for guppies, when there is not a specific GH but rather it is a matter of ensuring the water contains the necessary calcium and magnesium the fish must have for their internal physiology to function well. A GH of 10 dGH (179 ppm) will ensure this is met; a GH of 9 dGH is obviously not going to kill the fish, nor would a GH of 8 probably be trouble, but where does one stop at trying to set specific numbers?

The KH is far less of an issue, as generally it will match the GH, and the GH is directly linked to fish health because of the physiology. The pH does matter, and an acidic pH will tend to weaken such fish. But whether the pH is 7.2 or 7.8 to 8.6 or even 9 really is immaterial; the fact that it is not acidic matters more.

Most reactions

Back