Returning to the hobby after many years - very open to suggestions

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

20220223_164904.jpg

Finally getting round to emptying out the old gravel from the previous owner. My 3 cats are beyond fascinated.

I have some water! Excited to add fish tomorrow!

20220223_190238.jpg

Nah only kidding :) was just rinsing out the vinegar and checking the tank didn't leak, it's empty again now. Took me ages to even fill that amount using the garden hose - have no idea how you folks with monster tanks cope.

Tank cleaned up nicely with water and vinegar. Though more gravel keeps appearing from under the background, which is kind of annoying but I suppose won't matter after I put my own gravel down.

Going to put down an under gravel substrate and plant the tank before filling the tank and starting the cycle. The guy in my LFS said the under gravel nutrients are super important so I'm willing to give it a try.

Think I was right that a corner tank would really fit well in my living room, I wanted a tank but was particularly keen to find a trigon
20220223_190544.jpg

I have some water! Excited to add fish tomorrow!

View attachment 155276

Nah only kidding :) was just rinsing out the vinegar and checking the tank didn't leak, it's empty again now. Took me ages to even fill that amount using the garden hose - have no idea how you folks with monster tanks cope.

Tank cleaned up nicely with water and vinegar. Though more gravel keeps appearing from under the background, which is kind of annoying but I suppose won't matter after I put my own gravel down.

Going to put down an under gravel substrate and plant the tank before filling the tank and starting the cycle. The guy in my LFS said the under gravel nutrients are super important so I'm willing to give it a try.

Think I was right that a corner tank would really fit well in my living room, I wanted a tank but was particularly keen to find a trigon
View attachment 155275
You got me... You actually got me... Good to see the progress though!

The guy in my LFS said the under gravel nutrients are super important so I'm willing to give it a try.
Becareful of nutrients under gravel.
It can "stink" your tank.
I once did it for my shrimps tank believing that it will promote micro-organisms growth in my tank.

But in the end, I restarted my tank again throwing away all the gravel, washed and rinsed the tank.

Also be weary of any advice given by a pet store... Most of the time they just want to sell stuff

Most reactions

Back