Return Pump Question

G-skrilla

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Ok so I'm designing a sump/refugium out of two 20 gallon aquariums. I was planning on having the returns from each tank meet up and return to tank. Would four pumps be too much pressure. I say four because i would think i would need two in each tank in case one fails. I am going to split the overflow (ball valve) to each tank, one a sump with all mechanical and chemical filtration and the other with refugium and biological filtration. Looking for suggestions on the return setup

i'm a little confused about what you want to do. Are you trying to plumb two separate tanks to one sump?

I was going to have two 20 gallon sumps for 1 125 gallon DT. One 20g would house mechanical and chemical filtration (filter,skimmer,etc.) and the other would serve as a refugium. I was going to split the overflow with ball valve and have more flow to sump and less flow to refugium. Then I was thinking about the return pumps. I figure I need two in each 20 gallon in case one fails. If I only had one in each there could be catastrophe, no? Is this feasible? I was also planning on having a pre-primed siphon connecting the two in case of an emergency. Thoughts.

you should only need one pump each. What if the power turns off and you're not home? An extra pump will do you no good. you need to have a safetynet for those instances so there are no overflowing problems.

Why are you using two small tanks instead of one large one?

As long as you account for having each tank carry the extra water it needs to from the main tank if the pumps are not on, you won't have any overflowing problems. Otherwise, I think your design could definitely work as you want it to.

Most reactions

Back