Restocking Disaster

denzil1nil

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
After previous problems with finrot I decided to introduce some new stock to my tank so this morning i walked up to my lfs and talked the owner into selling me 5 diamond tetras from one of his display tanks. I introduced them slowly over an hour and a half and left the lights off i also added nutrafin tapsafe to the tank.

I checked to see how they were doing and 4 hours after introducing the fish the fins on all 5 diamonds have started to split.

My water parameters check out at PH 7.8, Ammonia 0.25ppm, Nitrite 0ppm, Nitrate .40ppm, 26'c. Water reads 0.25ppm straight from the tap.

Tank size 30 uk gal.

Inhabitants 1 Marble Hatchett, 2 Neon Tetras, 1 Diamond Tetra plus the 5 added today.

Nothing new addded to the tank since set up.

Im at my wits end ive been clear of finrot for at least 2 months now and cant believe that within hours its appearing right before my eyes with this new stock. I just dont understand why its happening and so quick plz can anyone advise???

The Neon Tetras could be nippy in such small numbers, a lot of tetras and danios show a spiteful side when in small groups.

Could the old Diamond Tetra be fighting with the new ones, sorting out a new pecking order hierachy within the group?

the old diamond is a male and he seems a little bossy but nothing extreme so you maybe right im just really worried after all the fish i lost to the fin rot i had before.

the problem is id like to restock the neons and the hatchetts aswell but i dont want to introduce to many fish at once i was planning on adding 5 to each group once a month and having 6 of each and then add a b/n pleco last off.

turned the lights on this morning and most of the fins were ragged on all the new diamonds i added and also one of my neons i cant see any white edges on the fins my water stats remain the same. would it be a good idea to medicate or just observe for a while longer?

turned the lights on this morning and most of the fins were ragged on all the new diamonds i added and also one of my neons i cant see any white edges on the fins my water stats remain the same. would it be a good idea to medicate or just observe for a while longer?

If damage is on most fish EXCEPT the original male diamond, maybe you do have your culprit there and when pecking order established it will be OK? I'm not an expert at all but it may be the reason.....

Just observing for a little while longer would be a good idea. You shouldn't toss in meds without being reasonably sure what might be going on.

As mhancock said, if only the old fish is unaffected, he might be viewing the others as intruders and attacking.

Having torn fins might lead to fin rot or something else, especially if the filter is still adjusting to doubling the bioload, so you should keep a close watch.

ok thanks i will keep observing and update later

in the meantime would adding some aquarium safe salt help at all???

ive heard people say its a good idea and others that its pointless. your opinions plz.

My diamonds are looking a little more settled today and im suspecting that sorting the pecking order is the reason behind the ragged fins.

I have however noticed that two of the new fish have a few small white bits under there mouths that look a little like sugar granuales (possibley ich?)

As I understand and John Dyer mentions having torn fins may lead to finrot or something else.

Im now worried that they are vulnerable to infection is there anything i can do to help prevent further problems.

Any help plz

...in the meantime would adding some aquarium safe salt help at all???

ive heard people say its a good idea and others that its pointless. your opinions plz.

Salt can definitely help reduce stress, it says on the packet how much to put in, I think it would be worth it. It's not expensive and it's not as if you are putting meds or anything unusual in the tank!

ok thanks Mhancock will look into the salt.

Today the fish dont look anyworse but they dont look any better either.

Would anything help the fish in growing there torn fins back???

Salt helps reduce stress? That's new to me. Is that what it claims on the packet?

i dont know zoddy thats why im askin for help if you have some advice pls share cos im avin a tough time of late.

three of my fish now have what look like the beginnings of finrot as they have started getting milky white patches where they have nipped each other.

also two still have a couple of the white sugary like specks under there mouth but dont seem to be getting any worse either.

really hope i dont lose all my fish that have just survived the last tank plague.

will be doing another 25% water change tonight i have done nothing else as yet because i just dont know what to do for the best.

Salt helps reduce stress? That's new to me. Is that what it claims on the packet?

I was told it reduced stress by someone in the LFS who seemed to know more than I did when my mollies were not doing too well. The product says this:

The proper use of this all natural Aquarium Salt can reduce fish stress, add natural electrolytes and improve gill function.

An all natural salt, made from evaporated sea water. Helps improve gill function to reduce stress. Reduces electrolyte loss, promotes healthy gill function and temporarily blocks nitrite toxicity. Contains the seven electrolytes necessary to maintain healthy freshwater fish. Can be used with most aquarium remedies to improve recovery from disease. Use as directed with each water change

Also see this link, seems written more about ponds but same principle.

Maybe the info from the product is more marketing than science, but other articles seem to back up the above claims in italics. It seemed odd to me to add salt to a "freshwater aquarium", but doing so did seem to help.

On another note, I have always had struggle to grow grassy plants, could this be due to the salt making the water too brackish?

I feel like i should be doing something but what???

Each time i check on them i get more worried that im gonna find a fish or two floating around Id be gutted if this happend and there was something i could of done to prevent it.

Most reactions

Back