Resistant Whitespot?

seanyt66

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Morning everyone

About 3 weeks ago i noticed that one of my rams had developed whitespot, within the day i had started treatment using the Interpet product - i followed the course of treatment as instructed and the spots gradually started to disappear. i completed the course and everything seemed fine, i must point out that only my rams where affected at this time. About a week after the course of meds was finished i noticed that one of my Clown loaches had one or two spots on its tail, i read on this forum that loaches are more sensitive to the treatment than other fish so i quarantined all three and treated them with a lesser dose, i also then started a course of meds in the main community tank - just to be safe! within the day all three Loaches where totally covered with spots. unfortunatly i lost one loach a couple of days later and although the spots have cleared on the other two they dont look at all well, this morning when i got up and had a look in my community tank one of my rams was again starting to develop spots.

Im at a loss now to know how to proceed.

Any help or advice in this matter would be greatly appreciated

Kind regards

Sean

When the whitespot fall of, this effectively is part of the cycle. The whitespots fall on the substrate, cover with a protective crust then multiply by about 2000x. They then hatch and become free swimming where they look for host fish and thus the cycle starts.

The only time they can be killed is in the free swimming stage... Do you have any carbon filter? If so get rid for the 16 days after seeing the last white spot. After about 10days, give the tank a 25% water change hand substrate vacuum not forgetting to add the appropriate amount of treatment to what was removed in the change

To be honest, I have always used Waterlifes Protozin but this time all I could find was Interpets product and despite dosing over 16 days its not working for me so I've bought Protozin again which worked every time for me!

I will be giving the tank a 50% water change soon and dosing with Protozin

The second dose of meds was the waterlife product - i vacuumed the gravel prior to adding meds and removed my carbon pad prior to dosing.

Sean

Just to add on this topic I had white spot and used interpets treatment and also found it didn't work for me, used it for about 3 weeks and fish were still flicking against the rocks. Tried a different treatment(esha exit) and that worked fine. Try a different treatment mate.

Just to add on this topic I had white spot and used interpets treatment and also found it didn't work for me, used it for about 3 weeks and fish were still flicking against the rocks. Tried a different treatment(esha exit) and that worked fine. Try a different treatment mate.

Cheers phil - just been out and got some King British whitespot treatment, lets see if that works

Sean

Most reactions

Back