'resistant' Whitepsot Treatment

JamieH

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Just a little tip seeing as i've been reading a lot in PFK about new strains of whitepsot that seem to resist normal treatments...

Last year my blue acara got whitespot... althought none of my other fish did. Anyway, I treated it with Octozin from waterlife which isn't primarily a whitespot treatment, but kills flagellated protozoa and lists whitespot as one of the illnesses it 'controls'

anyway, by day two of the treatment the fish was swimming around again and had lost most of the spots...

just a thought if anyone needs to treat whitespot.

not a dig at you mate, but from what i know about drugs in general, things like this are probably what cause the problem,

A genuine whitspot drug will gill the parasite compleatly anf leave your tank free of infestation, but a "Controling" drug probably only contains enough of what ever kills then to curb the infeastation, The problem is that some of the parasites survive and might even build up resistences to such a small amount of what ever it is... Then you get super strains.

Its like if you get an infection and only take half you Antibiotics. It makes you feel better and you may even get 100% well, But if someone catches the bug off you the strain may have adapted to the meds you took.

Just generally speaking mind, i could be wrong :)

From the ick problems I used to have, I just put the temp in the aquarium up to around 90, and dropped a penny in the aquarium and it all cleared up in a few days.

From the ick problems I used to have, I just put the temp in the aquarium up to around 90, and dropped a penny in the aquarium and it all cleared up in a few days.

That really works? Wow. Just make sure you don't do that if you have inverebrates.

not a dig at you mate, but from what i know about drugs in general, things like this are probably what cause the problem,

A genuine whitspot drug will gill the parasite compleatly anf leave your tank free of infestation, but a "Controling" drug probably only contains enough of what ever kills then to curb the infeastation, The problem is that some of the parasites survive and might even build up resistences to such a small amount of what ever it is... Then you get super strains.

Its like if you get an infection and only take half you Antibiotics. It makes you feel better and you may even get 100% well, But if someone catches the bug off you the strain may have adapted to the meds you took.

Just generally speaking mind, i could be wrong :)

well i was reccomended octozin above a traditional dye/copper based treatment becase they said it was less harsh on fish, and the filter. It also meant that i didn't have to raise the temperature and stress all the fish when only one was actively sick at the time.

If you look at most fish treatments they use the word 'control' instead of 'cure' on the bottle

That really works? Wow. Just make sure you don't do that if you have inverebrates.

Yea I thought that was a stupid taboo at first, and it wouldn't really work, but I asked some guy I work with who kept tropical fish for a few decades, and he gave me the low down on it. It works great for ick. :good:

Most reactions

Back