Rescued fin nipped guppy and sleepy corys

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Willbacon23

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Hey guys, i recently adopted a guppy which had been kept in an al male guppy tank previously at the LFS with a fin nipped tail. You can see the edges have been bitten so by putting him as the only male I’m hoping he will be much happier with 3 female guppies. Apart from keeping the water very clean is there anything else I should do? Also to combine two queries I have corys which after the recent warmer temperatures have been sleeping a little more than usual. I always see them sleeping from around 7-11 usually or just relaxing as a big group but now I see them also sleeping earlier in the day? Is this increased amount of sleeping normal? Thanks for your help

Hey guys, i recently adopted a guppy which had been kept in an al male guppy tank previously at the LFS with a fin nipped tail. You can see the edges have been bitten so by putting him as the only male I’m hoping he will be much happier with 3 female guppies. Apart from keeping the water very clean is there anything else I should do? Also to combine two queries I have corys which after the recent warmer temperatures have been sleeping a little more than usual. I always see them sleeping from around 7-11 usually or just relaxing as a big group but now I see them also sleeping earlier in the day? Is this increased amount of sleeping normal? Thanks for your help

On thee guppy, clean water should be sufficient. Monitor the fin, but with less stress and clean water and a suitable environment (parameters, aquascape, other fish) a healthy fish can easily heal damaged fins.

Cories will slow down in warmer weather. You should make sure there is good surface disturbance, this brings in oxygen and dissipates out CO2, and warmer water holds less oxygen. This is why they are less active. They may also surface breach more often, not a problem. Respiration will likely be faster too, also not a problem but keep an eye on it. The increased surface disturbance, and perhaps a strong flow from the filter, should be all they need. They will remain more sedentary, not a problem.

On thee guppy, clean water should be sufficient. Monitor the fin, but with less stress and clean water and a suitable environment (parameters, aquascape, other fish) a healthy fish can easily heal damaged fins.

Cories will slow down in warmer weather. You should make sure there is good surface disturbance, this brings in oxygen and dissipates out CO2, and warmer water holds less oxygen. This is why they are less active. They may also surface breach more often, not a problem. Respiration will likely be faster too, also not a problem but keep an eye on it. The increased surface disturbance, and perhaps a strong flow from the filter, should be all they need. They will remain more sedentary, not a problem.
Thanks you! I’m almost certain surface disturbance shouldn’t be an issue-I have a spray bar starched because I have a BN pleco I was wary of needing high oxygenation so I have a significant amount of surface disturbance

Most reactions

Back