Rescued An Albino Corey

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

SnowyzMom

Fishaholic
Reaction score
I call him "Zero" because he stood zero chance of survival if I didn't get him out of that lfs. He was alone for weeks, now in with sharks and before that danios...and who knows what else--no plants, just a bright bare tank. :X I saw him earlier this week swimming madly, almost non stop and when I got a closer look at him I was astounded. He's got a nub of a tail, all bitten off except a small bit 1/8"-1/4" on one side, a back fin that's been cropped right down to a very short jagged crew cut :crazy: ---he could only swim by wiggling his whole body. And his general manner was panicked, I can't think of a better word for it. No wonder! -_-

I need another corey like a hole in the head, I've got pepper babies and big mommas and poppas and besides albinos are my least favorite corey, I once swore I'd never buy any, but he was coming home and that was that! He didn't know what to do in the big tank at first, completely lost. However when the first big momma pepper cory cruised over him he instantly followed her, quivering all over with excitement, feeling her all over, til the excitement got too much for him I think, he sat on the gravel again....probably in shock! :D Then a male came by in the other direction and he was off again, quivering with excitement, til he had to sit on the gravel again. He's not used to gravel or any substrate either. He found a live plant and sat under it. Probably in shock--psychological I mean, physically he's very fit--with all that panicked swimming he would be!

Well hours later he had made it to the other side of the 29 gallon. I'm hoping he grows glorious finnage like all the other cories and gets a decent life. He's certainly going to stand out in that tank as along with dark brown gravel the fish are darkish coloured. It was a well spent $2.47!

aawww it's like a fairytale, i can just imagine him getting all excited at the sight of another cory (even though ive never seen him but you explained it well) . I hope he recovers quickly. :)

I know the feeling...I have often said "I need another......like I need a hole in the head" when it comes to rescuing dogs, cats, birds etc.! It has gotten to the point that if a neighborhood kid finds a stray dog...they bring it here, or if the are looking for a lost pet, they come here! Thankfully I have found the owners on all so far, but I could see me doing the same if I found a poor fish that really needed me. You did a great thing and I hope the cory becomes one of your favorites.

Aww bless, so glad you rescued him so he has some cory friends, its surprising how well fish can recover when they are properly cared for, his fins should grow back soon enough.

Emma :D

Bless him, its sounds like he needs a bacterial med to help with his fins, are his barbels ok.

Emma what a gorgeous GP--ahem Cavey as your avatar...he's got a real Elvis hair thing going on there! :good:

Yes Zero has a full set of barbels and I am happy to report that Zero shows no signs of any illness whatsoever (I did double check that before buying him) and seems to already be growing some discreet finnage. He's swimming with glee now, always busy, one happy little corey so far as I can tell, full of enthusiasm for life. I grin everytime I see him. I needed something to make me feel I'd done some good on the planet this week and he's sure it. :nod:

I did pop a little med into the tank but he seems just fine. I'll keep a close eye on him anyways.

That's good news, bless him.

:nod: I am VERY happy to report that I returned from a 3 day trip (yes I had a fish sitter) and I see that Zero has now grown a small but identifiable top fin and a tiny but functional tail! :good: He's on his way to looking like a regular corey and less like the marine buzz cut version all the time. :rolleyes: (yes, bad pun intended):p

I'm SO relieved he's recovering so well, still showing no sign of illness whatsoever and now is growing small but bound to grow tail and top fins. YAAAAAY! :wub:

Most reactions

Back