Rescue Mission

sarah40011

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
This is not my tank! just so thats clear :) there is a bristle nose in this tank that i want for my new large tank im setting up. i just cant bear that hes in this one every time i visit (its the inlaws house) they have said i can take him no problem if only i can get him out as they cant. every time you go near he shoots into the filter system and theres no way of getting in there (so they say, i havent been able to look yet) i just wondered if anyone knew what this tank is and how i could possible get him if they were familiar with the tank there may be a way. im thinking of a humane mouse trap that he will go in when he comes out at night but if hes shut in the tube overnight might he die? ive also suggested they take the goldfish to her sisters goldfish pond (its either floating on the top or laying on the bottom when i visit, appears it cant swim but it not ill just disabled maybe?!) and break the tank open to get the plec and i'll pay but they were very reluctant! :/ help please, this is a bit of a mission impossible!

Attachments

• IMG_1022.JPG
    IMG_1022.JPG
    19.3 KB · Views: 42
Hi the best way imo to catch plecs is to get a cave big enough for it to get in with only one way in and out wait for it to go in then cover the opening with a net then lift the cave out that way there is only one way for the fish to go after that all you need to do is move it safely to its new home. :good:

I know those tanks, I used to have one I think they are about 5 gallons? So not great for the fish that are in there...

As for catching the plec just lower the water line and scoop him out when you can - there will be a way to "prod" him out into the open :)

Wills

ok sorry i wasnt clear. when you go near the tank the plec swims up and over into the filter part of the tank. he then goes under the filter right to the bottom where there is a crawl space at the bottom of the tank. you cannot get your hand there plus its a one way in gap so you cant flush him out he is in a hole/cave lol im guessing he's stuck forever. apart friom the humane mouse trap idea (which i still dont know if he will die if in it overnight) i was thinking of getting the tank owners a cave and some algae wafers (they dont feed the plec god knows what he eats) maybe then after time he might shoot into the cave rather than into the workings of the tank... and yes i feel sad for that goldfish, it cant even swim!

If a fish can get into a gap, there is always a way to get it out.

sure but its the only gap so other than sucking it out... guess there is no way

At least the tank is clean!
blink.gif

Can't you take the whole filter out and dump it into a bucket and take the BN home?
unsure.gif
You must have a different kind of mouse trap in the UK than we have in the US, which breaks their necks
nugget.gif

block the hole that he is getting into with something before trying to net him.

nowhere to run

lol thats the point, he shoots in there when you approach the tank so if you block the hole you block him in :/ also if you take the whole filter out there is a tiny space under all that, that is what he is in. kind of like under the floor boards of the tank lol. tricky tricky. whats the outlook of a bn stuck in a pipe overnight? the trap is like a rectangular tube, when he goes in to get the food thats at the other end the tube will tip up slightly closing the flap behind him. i know im going on but it does seem there is no way of catching him, its become a challenge... plus its all wrong for him in there, no wonder hes so scared

cant u leave the tank lid off, sneak up to it in the dark and just cover the entrance to where hes going with your hand then just net him? :eek:

Drain the tank down so you can tilt it in the oppisite direction of the filter so theres no water. Then net him

lol no one gets it, you have to see it i suppose. nevermind peoples i think i have a plan, ordered him a coconut cave and some wafers. maybe he will hide in the cave than shooting up and over past the filter and under into the tank bottom. then i might get a chance to put a polystyrene block over the top of the back wall. from what i can see the tank doesnt come apart so theres no way really. thing is as soon as you enter the room he swims off super fast. you cannot get near the tank before he goes in the gap under the filter (which makes up the back of the tank) if i drained the water he would be in a hole with no water in.

Hi Sarah,i understand what your saying,perhaps if you put some courgete in the opposite corner to the filter,he might get preocupied with the courgete,and might not try to get in filter,then try catch him somehow?

im working on it :) yes i think some tasty treat distraction over a few months and a new cave is the way to go. my tank wont be ready for him for about 4 months so hoping he'll hold out.

i think thats the way to go Sarah,once he/she gets used to somewhere new to hide,and some veg or treat,will probablly forget all about getting in the filter.I have a small royal pleco,and when i first put courgete in the tank i could of taken the courgete out of the tank with him still attached to it! (was obviously enjoying it so much).Wish you success anyway.Greg

Most reactions

Back