Reporting Abuse

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

They are defiantly the smartest. I have 3 and 1/2 (mix breed) Border Collies and their intelligence is through the roof. They pick up things very quickly and can work for much longer than most dogs, so they end up learning a lot. They actually are the fastest in most canine sports including agility and flyball. Also, they drive some of these dogs possess is to die for if you ever wanted a serious competition dog.

This Old Spouse said:
I've had border collies and now have an Aussie who's basically a BC with no tail. 
I think Aussies have a little less drive and focus that the Border Collies have. Which in some cases is good, as BCs can be flat out neurotic sometimes.

JellOh said:
They are defiantly the smartest. I have 3 and 1/2 (mix breed) Border Collies and their intelligence is through the roof. They pick up things very quickly and can work for much longer than most dogs, so they end up learning a lot. They actually are the fastest in most canine sports including agility and flyball. Also, they drive some of these dogs possess is to die for if you ever wanted a serious competition dog.

I've had border collies and now have an Aussie who's basically a BC with no tail. 
I think Aussies have a little less drive and focus that the Border Collies have. Which in some cases is good, as BCs can be flat out neurotic sometimes.

Everything you've said is true, but you can't discount their hard eyed nature. Depending on the application, looser eyed working dogs are required. One's that can work happily out of eye and ear shot of their masters. The Welsh for example, are moving away from BCs again and back onto Welsh Sheepdogs for their loose eyed natures. As intelligent as border collies are, I still don't think they're the dog for intelligence. I'm sure there's a breed out there that excels even BCs.

Just don't ask me what it is xD

Just to clarify, I'm not arguing, just throwing my 2 pence into the mix. :)

tomtomtom1230 said:
Everything you've said is true, but you can't discount their hard eyed nature. Depending on the application, looser eyed working dogs are required. One's that can work happily out of eye and ear shot of their masters. The Welsh for example, are moving away from BCs again and back onto Welsh Sheepdogs for their loose eyed natures. As intelligent as border collies are, I still don't think they're the dog for intelligence. I'm sure there's a breed out there that excels even BCs.

Just don't ask me what it is xD

Just to clarify, I'm not arguing, just throwing my 2 pence into the mix. :)

I understand what you're saying :) I dunno, I've just always felt that they are labeled the smartest dog because of their drive. Kinda like that one kid in school who thinks he's hot stuff because he thinks he's smart, but he never does any work and has 30s in class. to me, intelegence isn't just how much can learn and remember, but how much you are willing to remeber. Although I understand people's need of a softer dogs; after seeing how BCs herd it's not hard to think that it could stress some animals out.

Noahsfish said:
Would a border collie fit in my 55 gallon? Lol.
He might herd your fish during the night ;)

JellOh said:
Well, I have a fish store near me and it's absolutely disgusting. Everything is covered in dirt, the filters are all gunned up, the tanks are dirt, there are too many fish in one tank or fish that are in a tank 10x to small, and it's just terrible. They also have rodents, birds, and reptiles that are probably in bad shape and I just don't know what to look for. It may seem like I'm exaggerating, but there is seriously a 13" fish (I don't know what breed but it's black, looks kinda like a shark, and huge) in a 20 gallon long. They also had some saltwater fish in what looked to be 1/2 a gallon of a divided tank each. The filters in the guppies' tank had crud hanging off of it. All in all it is just a black hole for death and diease. It makes PetCo look like fishy heaven. What can I do? It's plain to anyone that walks in that it's not an environment to keep anything in. Could I report them to the local humane society or animal control? Gah, I -need- to do something, I just don't know what.

Just wondering, what's the name of this fish store?

Most reactions

Back