Replacing My Filtration System

ThatFishTankMan63

Reaction score
Hey, I am wanting to replace my filtration system on my 30 gallon freshwater tank. If I replace the whole system and get a new different one, is everything in my tank going to be ok? Would I have to re-cycle my tank?

Never replace your filtration components all together at the same time, it could be a disaster. What filtration are you using? Change the components gradually, no all at the same time

Never replace your filtration components all together at the same time, it could be a disaster. What filtration are you using? Change the components gradually, no all at the same time
This is the filter I have- http://www.walmart.com/ip/Aqua-Tech-W-Bio-Fiber-Advanced-Biological-Filtration-Power-Filter-1-ct/10291977 . So are you saying i cant buy a new filter and replace the old one?

What do you have now?

Get the new filter running, leave both on for a couple weeks, then remove the old one.

OR

Take the media from your current filter and put it in the new one and just change the actual filter now.

What do you have now?

Get the new filter running, leave both on for a couple weeks, then remove the old one.

OR

Take the media from your current filter and put it in the new one and just change the actual filter now.
I have a - http://www.walmart.com/ip/Aqua-Tech-W-Bio-Fiber-Advanced-Biological-Filtration-Power-Filter-1-ct/10291977 . So if i buy the same filter but a new one can I just put the old filter media in the new filter and would it be fine?

check out my tank at- http://www.youtube.com/user/ThatFishTankMan63?feature=mhee

Yes, just moving the media is enough. However, if you are going to buy a new filter I would get a better one. The AquaClear 70 would be my suggestion.

What do you have now?

Why would that work? If you have a cycled tank then you have all the good bacteria you need, adding an extra filter why would more good bacteria grow on it, if all it's 'food' is already being taken by the other filter?

I'm not being argumentative I'm new to the 'art' so I'm interested.

What do you have now?

Why would that work? If you have a cycled tank then you have all the good bacteria you need, adding an extra filter why would more good bacteria grow on it, if all it's 'food' is already being taken by the other filter?

I'm not being argumentative I'm new to the 'art' so I'm interested.
You're quite right; running two filters in tandem doesn't cycle the new one. There maybe some minimal bacterial growth in the new filter after 6 weeks or so, but not enough to support the fish if the original, old filter was taken out.

Really the only way to change filters is to take all the old media and pack it into the new filter.

It can work. The flow in any filter is what provides food and oxygen (favors the bacteria). Granted you won't get a full load of bacteria in the new filter, you will get a significant population going. The waste doesn't automatically go to the old filter. If the new filter has more flow it will actually favor bacteria better than the old one.

It is better to actually move the media though.

Well I was thinking about getting a different kind of filter which won't have the same kind of filter media. So is having both running for awhile going to be ok?

It will be ok, but you'd need to run the two filters in tandem for at least six to eight weeks, IMO.

Putting your old media in the new filter is still the best way to go about it; there's always a way of getting the old media in; even if it means cutting it up.

Most reactions

Back