Removing a built in filter.

Webkinzmole

Reaction score
So, my girlfriend is looking to get a fish tank and we believe we have found a perfect tank except for one thing, it has a built in filter which would block her view from the side of the tank which is the main way she will see it. So, my question is, would it be possible to remove this built in filter completely in order to replace it with an external filter. The aquarium in question is an Aqua One Aquanano 60 tropical aquarium 100 litre.

Picture of said tank?
1631748792142.png

Here it is

So which part that you wanted to remove ? It will be great if you can show several angles of the tank instead.

Are you wanting to remove the back filter compartment? If so, I don’t recommend it. That thing is in there good, and removing it may cause you to damage it.

Why will you only be viewing it from the side? It’s a bow front tank, which is meant to be viewed from the front.

Are you wanting to remove the back filter compartment? If so, I don’t recommend it. That thing is in there good, and removing it may cause you to damage it.

Why will you only be viewing it from the side? It’s a bow front tank, which is meant to be viewed from the front.
she wouldn't only be viewing it from the side, but she would be viewing it from the side quite often, aswell as from the front. We've been looking for some time now to find a tank which will fit into the space she has, while also being large enough to still have a good amount of fish. Having looked further into this tank it isn't that great of an option, somehow i didnt notice it was bowfront at first, which is bad considering i have had several tanks in the past. Thankyou for the help though.

Plenty of 'pre-owned' tanks around, especially if you're prepared to travel. I got a couple of ace ones from eBay.
Some genuine bargains to be had.
You can then build your system to meet your own specific needs, but...always ALWAYS try and get the biggest tank you can. You'll then be 'future-proofed' and a larger tank offers so much more flexibility.

I agree second hand tanks and I agree bigger the better , I dont have room for multiple tanks so try to have the biggest I can ... but it’s never big enough lol if the built in filter is not what you want to see is there no way of hiding it behind some wood or plants

I have had these types aquanano tanks before.

These are actually pretty good little tanks it has to be said.

Removing the built in filter at the back of the tank IS possible but not that simple I don’t think. Be fairly difficult to remove without either damaging the filter compartments or scratching the tank glass somewhere.

But the filter itself on those aquanano tanks are good things, does exactly what it says on the tin really and pretty reliable, never had an issue with any of my aquanano tanks and filter.
Lighting unit on those is a bit meh and I tended to upgrade lights on those tanks anyway.

Bonus is you would not need an external filter and the heater is in the back filter compartment as well so that saves space and more visually appealing inside tank, imho.

But if side of tank viewing is high on list then perhaps would leave this one and go for one without an internal filter.

Some tanks with internal filters, like Juwel Rio or 180 which I have, these internal filters can be removed without too much trouble, bit fiddly and a bit of work to remove the blobs of aquarium sealant that holds filter to glass but certainly doable.

Or as others have mentioned, there are good aquariums second hand deals to be had.

I find that lotts of second hand tanks tend to be dirty and have hard water marks on glass, bit of work to remove those and throughly clean the tank to satisfaction.

Entirely depends on how you feel about that and what your budget is etc etc

I have yet to find a second-hand tank in my area that wasn't way over priced and wasn't filthy plus you don't know if it now leaks after sitting in somebody's garage or basement for a few years. As the OP mentioned they are very limited on space - so while I agree bigger is better and easier to care for - they don't have that option. But there are a zillion different styles of 100 liter tanks on the Amazon website - so you might take a look at those - but since most of the sellers are in the US they'll go by gallons rather than liters and may charge a lot for shipping. But the little tank you've picked out here is probably pretty pricy and kind of looks like it's been set up to be one of the new "nano" saltwater tanks especially if it keeps the heater in the back. Does it have an area at the top that allows water overflow to the back - then that's what you've got and probably don't need - saltwater fish keeping is an entirely different animal than freshwater. So take a look for a bare bones 100 liter tank - that way you can add the heater and thermometer you choose and the filter you choose. Along with airstones, UV water cleaners etc You may spend more (a lot more) in the long run but you'll have exactly what you want. On the other hand if this is a nano saltwater tank you can still use it as a freshwater tank - and they typically have places to put a lot of different filter media. BUT if it's just one of the plastic "all in one" tanks they only give you a one size filter that doesn't allow you to actually cycle the tank as is necessary since the filters contain no biomedia - just some carbon mixed with floss. That is not a good filter. If you are looking for small plastic tanks, many of them have a removable crappy mini-filters (I currently have a single betta in mine now) but it did come with a lovely set of led lights but no heater or thermometer. In that case the issue is the lid because it has all the led lights and even if the fiter is removable I can't find another filter that wouldn't require removing the lid and having to purchase some expensive lights.

Anyway - so if you would add some of the specifications from the box or online description we will be able to figure out exactly what you do have. At first glance, the picture you added looks just like my little 5 gallon tank but your description of your tank doesn't really match up to the spec's of my tank. We just don't want to make any assumptions before knowing more about the tank. So sorry we are being so picky. And please don't say you'll be putting goldfish in this tank - it will be way undersized for the rapidly growing and really filthy goldfish. If you do know what fish she wants this tank to hold that would be helpful as well.

Most reactions

Back